Review of Blood Summer 1862

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 103%

Re: Review of Blood Summer 1862

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Nice review! The book is part fiction and part historical facts. It's not my type of book, so I will pass on it. I'm not too fond of the cover. I first thought that it was a children's book.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Ghost With Two Hearts by michael r french

Post by Annabell Samuel »

This book seems to cu across many decades, beginning from 1807. It will be nice to read how the central characters did justice to their roles, seeing that the book was set in the 17th century.
SAJID ANSARI 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by SAJID ANSARI 1 »

The book stands out for its rich character development, particularly in portraying the internal conflicts within the Dakota Sioux community and the resilience of the Lindquist family. Julia, my favorite character, embodies compassion and empathy, making her a central figure of support throughout the narrative. Her actions, especially during critical moments like the train accident, highlight her dedication to helping others, including Native Americans. i am Indian don't know much about American history your review helps a lot for understand all things.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a historical fiction novel that weaves real events within the lives of both real and fictional characters. Well-written and professionally edited, readers of the genre will find this to be thought-provoking and educational. Thank you for your helpful review! :-)
Christian Kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-kay.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O&rsquo;Banion

Post by Christian Kay »

Robert Hauser's 'Blood Summer 1862' offers a compelling blend of historical events and fictional storytelling, providing readers with a rich and immersive experience of a pivotal time in American history
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by williams Emerald »

“Blood Summer 1862” by Robert Hauser is an enthralling historical fiction that masterfully intertwines real events with a compelling narrative. The meticulous depiction of historical figures like President Jefferson and Tecumseh, alongside the fictional Lindquist family, brings a rich and nuanced perspective to the era. Julia’s character, defined by her compassion and empathy, stands out as a beacon of humanity amidst the turmoil. Hauser’s vivid storytelling not only immerses readers in the past but also offers poignant reflections on justice, resilience, and the enduring impact of political strife. This book is a must-read for anyone captivated by the complexities of American history.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Wonderful review!
The stark reality depicted in the book resonates powerfully, especially in the context of recent global conflicts.
This probably best reflects my overall thoughts, considering I noted how this book continues the “trend” (who’s deserved status as a norm is LONG overdue) of getting stories/accounts of American history/politics from demographics in the minority as well as constantly been overlooked.
Mercy Bolo
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Bolo »

The Dakota Sioux war is the epicenter of this historical thriller. The author transports readers to a bygone era and highlights the struggles faced by the early settlers to the United States. The author includes real historical figures and livens the plot with impeccable storytelling.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Runan »

The author brings together a perfect mix of fiction and history. The author portrays the civil war, the Dakota Sioux war, and the settlers suffering injustice really well. This book takes you on an emotional ride. I really enjoyed reading your review.
Runan
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I like reading historical books, and it seems that this one is about the Indians in America in the 1800s. It'll be enlightening to read this book. I'll also like to know if the civil chief of the Shawnee succeeded in waging war against America as at then.
Jenn Seguinte Deguzman
Currently Reading: The Mango Bride
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-deguzman.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Jenn Seguinte Deguzman »

Thank you for your review. I do like historical fictions. Even though I haven't gotten into our own American history just yet (though I have started with Hamilton recently), your review makes me want to add this into my list of historical fictions to read.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Guilty of Stealing His Heart by Nancy Lynn White

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

The fact that this book isn't a non-fictional tale doesn't mean the message of the book should be taken lightly. This is because the book was written to give a picture of what happened during the early years of America.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I am a big fan of historical fiction, and America in the 1800’s is not a period I know much about. Therefore, this embellished story is of interest to me. The writing style is clear and has an appropriate pace covering the drivers of the plotline and flashbacks.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 624
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

This is a terrific review of an exceptionally well-written book. Clearly, the author has a fine sense of history, and the dialogue that I sampled from the few pages I read is realistic and believable. I think I'll be adding this book to my to-be-read list. Congrats to Ms. Hunter on her achievement.
Eugine Ingalwa
Currently Reading: The Three Card Trick
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eugine-ingalwa.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eugine Ingalwa »

I love that you have captured the seamless connection of true historical events with fictionalized characters to capture one of America's critical historical periods. Just like the reviewer, I can't help but admire Julia's empathy and compassion towards the needy even amid all the tension and chaos. Thank you for this comprehensive review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”