Review of Adele and Gilbert

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Bonds of Love and Blood by Marylee MacDonald

Review of Adele and Gilbert

Post by Robert Andrew »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adele and Gilbert" by D. S. Fly.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Adele and Gilbert: A Ballad” by D. S. Fly is a narrative of long poems depicting the declarations of love between Gilbert and Adèle, as well as some surrounding events. The book starts with how the long poem was discovered by Uncle Taylor and delivered to his nephew to publish. Uncle Taylor died in the year 2000, and he had given his nephew the task of going through his belongings in the attic to find a chest containing a manuscript titled Adele and Gilbert. His nephew was instructed to publish it and give credit to Uncle Taylor for bringing Adele and Gilbert back to life, as that would be his legacy since he had no children.  

The first few pages, narrated in a lyrical, poem-like style, describe how Gilbert and Adèle meet during a Saint Martin’s Eve celebration. Both express declarations of love for each other. Adèle confesses her love for Gilbert and how their meeting again instantly rekindled her feelings. The subsequent lyrical poems depict events and other characters, showing how Adèle and Gilbert share memories, reflect on their past, express gratitude, establish lasting bonds, and demonstrate repentance and forgiveness.  

The idea of this book is great, interestingly presenting history. The book sets the stage for the long poem narrative right from the start, making the stylistic writing easy to follow. I love reading the poems aloud, emphasizing the rhyming lines. Additionally, the texts are well formatted, making the content aesthetically pleasing and easy to read. Each long narrative poem is accompanied by a brief explanation, making the hidden meanings in the poems easily understandable.  

The poem also has thought-provoking impacts. It exudes themes of consideration, forgiveness, and coming clean with one's wrong deeds. I love the gentle tone that pervades the poems, even in the introductory part.   

There is nothing I dislike about this book because I don't see an objective reason to find fault with it. The poem's narrative seems lengthy, but this does not detract from its quality. The texts are creatively woven, ensuring that readers who love lyrical poetry will appreciate and enjoy it even more.  

I did not find any grammar errors in the text, which indicates it was exceptionally edited. Considering all these factors, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.  

To lovers of poetry, I recommend this book. You will find additional value in reading it, as it is lyrically written and uses words creatively, exuding an engaging quality.

Adele and Gilbert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

A well-detailed review of the love story between Adele and Gilbert. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the book and found few faults in it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”