Review of Web of Evil

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Journey To The Heartland by Xiaolong Huang

Review of Web of Evil

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Web of Evil" by N. L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The world has evolved. There is no justifiable reason for murder except if it can be proven that it is in self-defense. Going back to Egypt in 1335 BCE, there was a law that permitted a man to kill another man if there was evidence that that man was having an affair with his wife. However, the man was also required to kill his wife. Only then would he justify killing his wife’s lover.

In an ancient Egyptian village lived a man named Tjay. His wife, Ta-em-resefu, was having an affair with Hapu-seneb, the son of his boss,  Khnum-em-heb. Meanwhile, Tjay was not particularly his family’s favorite. His wife would do anything to leave him. His stepmother, Khem-sit, would not mind getting rid of him. One day, a dead body flowed from the river to Lord Hani’s house. Lord Hani’s daughter, Neferet, alongside her apprentice, Mut-tuy, and fellow physician, Bener-ib, were left with two assignments: identify the body and investigate the apparent murder. 

“Web of Evil” by N. L. Holmes lives up to its name. This book draws the reader into a murder investigation that leads them to many surprising discoveries. When you think the matter is solved, something throws the investigators back to the drawing board. You have to pay rapt attention to details to avoid getting lost, as there are many twists and turns in this narrative. You also need to have an open mind, as nothing is as it seems.

The author went out of her way to ensure readers would not get lost in the narrative. At the beginning of the book, there was a map of the book’s setting and a brief history of Egypt in 1335 BCE. The author also provided a list of the characters. However, I’d advise readers to check it out after reading the book. There was also a glossary to explain the unfamiliar terms used in the book. The author arranged the book so that readers would flow seamlessly with it.

I also applaud the realistic approach to the investigation. Although I would expect investigations to be done by a trained detective, I loved that the author turned physicians into investigators. Even with the twists and turns, it was not challenging following Neferet and her team’s investigation. The author also used the “show, don’t tell” approach in this narrative. Readers would have the liberty to make deductions as the investigation moved along. I loved that I could engage my deductive abilities. I was right a few times; however, I was wrong most of the time. This book took me on a fascinating investigative journey.

This book is the second in the “Hani’s Daughter Mystery” series. However, it can be read as a standalone book. I did not even know it was part of a series until I got to the end. After the story ended, the author gave me a sneak peek into the first chapter of the next installment, “Wheel of Evil.” I can’t wait to read that, too.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. Therefore, I'd rate it five out of five stars. I’d recommend it to lovers of murder mysteries.

Web of Evil
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Somto Nwachukwu 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somto-nwachukwu-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Somto Nwachukwu 1 »

I like books with suspense. Investigation scenes are intriguing to me. The reviewer's inability to find any dislike in the book speaks well of the author's work.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

Great review and kudos to the editor this is work well done.
This seems to be intrigue and mind capturing . The cliffhanger of this review has increased my internet for an investigative stories.

Return to “Historical Fiction”