Review of Trust No One

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alida Spies
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Three Card Trick
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The Cello Maker by David P Andersen
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 84%

Review of Trust No One

Post by Alida Spies »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trust No One" by Glenn Dyer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Trust No One” by Glenn Dyer is the fourth book in the Conor Thorn series. Conor worked for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the intelligence agency of the USA during World War II. Emily Bright, Conor's wife of nine days, worked for the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), the foreign intelligence service of the UK, commonly known as MI6. Their respective organizations fired both Conor and Emily for failing to execute their last mission per their instructions.

The novel starts on Christmas Day, 1942, and develops in Algiers and German-occupied France. A French admiral fell victim to an assassination plot. If the Germans found proof that the USA or UK were involved, it would endanger the Allied coalition and, subsequently, the result of the war. One of General Eisenhower's staff members approaches Conor and Emily to find an archive that provides details of the assassination plot. If they find the archive, their honor will be restored, and their respective organizations will rehire them. It will also safeguard essential Allied Forces relationships. Various parties seek the archive for different reasons, and the couple faces huge challenges.

I love how the author chooses real historical figures as characters in his novel. Just like the fictional characters, they speak the words the author chooses. The book is based on actual historical events, and by including well-known people who lived during those times, the author convinced me that every word I read was true. Glenn succeeds in seamlessly integrating his fictional and real characters, further contributing to the authenticity of the storyline.

Dyer conducted impeccable research and presented the reader with historical facts that many people were unaware of before reading this book. This is fascinating and sets the novel apart from other stories with the Second World War as the background.

I recommend that the author move his notes from the end of the book to the beginning. The information in the notes helps the reader understand some aspects of the novel better and, therefore, should be read first. There was nothing else that I disliked about the book. I didn't find any errors, and in my opinion, the editor did an exceptional job.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is fast-paced and filled with adventure, intrigue, and espionage. The author’s writing style is engaging and easy to follow. Readers who enjoy action-packed historical novels will love this book.

Trust No One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”