Review of Looking Back On Tomorrow

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: I'd Rather Be Dead Than Deaf by E. Adrienne Wilson

Review of Looking Back On Tomorrow

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking Back On Tomorrow" by Mitch Engel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

War has proven to be a situation that men should not wish upon themselves. Sadly, there are still those who think that war is the solution to some political problems. However, I agree with Andreas in Looking Back On Tomorrow by Mitch Engel that there is no victor in war. Both sides suffer great losses, no matter who society deems the victor.

Andreas Konig was from an influential Austrian family during the Austro-Hungarian Empire. At the age of 21, he was in school at the Theresian Military Academy and was expected to rise through the ranks just like his father. It was during this time that he met Marina Petkovic. Their romance blossomed into a marriage two years later. After two weeks of marital bliss, arrangements were made for Marina to go to America to wait for Andreas to join her later. However, the first world war started, and it became apparent that Andreas had to go to war instead of joining his wife in America. This marked the beginning of the painful love story between Andreas and Marina.

Aside from the love story in this book, there are well-detailed historical events about the political changes across the countries in Europe from 1912 to date. It detailed how the first world war started and ended, how the second world war started with Adolf Hitler, the things he did as he made himself a god-like individual, how the people who once supported him started regretting it, how the Germans bore the hatred that followed after he was defeated, the Berlin Wall, and several other events that the author did well to describe in detail. This showed how much effort the author put into research to write this fictional story.

As much as this book was enlightening, there were things that affected my reading. Its prologue and chapter one caused me confusion for a while. After reading the prologue, I expected to read the story of Josh Chandler. However, I found myself reading the story of Andreas Konig in the 1900s. It took quite some time for me to realize where the story was going. There were too many characters and events to keep up with. The author often cuts a story short to give an extended historical description. While these were enlightening, they constituted too many breaks in the story, which affected the plot's flow.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I removed a star because of my experience while reading. It would have been better if each part started with a description of the date of the events to take place. If there was something I learned from this book, it was that love can conquer distance, time, and generation. If you enjoy reading historical family dramas, this book is for you.

Looking Back On Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do agree that in most cases war is a losing situation for everyone involved. There are, however, some things worth fighting for. I am very sorry that your reading experience was not ideal. I hope that the things you mentioned can be fixed. Thanks!
Christian Jordan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-jordan.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christian Jordan »

War brings immense suffering to all sides, making true victory impossible. As Andreas in Mitch Engel's "Looking Back On Tomorrow" suggests, both sides suffer great losses, undermining any notion of triumph.
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Esther Unurhie »

Andreas's journey from a promising military cadet to a war-weary soldier serves as a powerful commentary on the devastating effects of war, highlighting the universal truth that no one emerges unscathed from such catastrophic events.
Badger Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badger-martin.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Badger Martin »

Wow.. this is quite a story. Andreas journey was one that envices so much adventure and suspense. Your review was detailed and I loved it.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

From the review, I agree that no county goes to war and return same, there must be losses on both side. This book suggests to me that
after every war comes emotions caused by this loss.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

This book is a profound exploration of love and war, blending a touching romance with rich historical detail. Andreas and Marina's story, set against the backdrop of significant European events, highlights the futility of war and the enduring power of love. While the narrative's structure can be a bit disorienting at first, the book's depth and historical insights make it a compelling read. Highly recommended for fans of historical family dramas.

Return to “Historical Fiction”