Review of The Icy Cross

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of The Icy Cross

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Icy Cross" by Peter Bisaillion.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When I first read the description of this book, it mentioned that people needed to understand North American culture. This was a challenge for me, coming from Asia. 

The research process led me to stories about slavery, the colonization of America and Canada, hockey, British influence in Canada, the development of religion in Canada, the socio-political conditions in Canada, Canadian culinary diversity, and research about neighboring countries such as the history of the United States, Russia, and several European countries. 

For a historical fiction novel with a memoir-like feel, this book was indeed meant to be savored slowly. 

In "Icy Cross" by Peter Bisaillion, we were invited to see it from the perspective of Robert Seigneur, a priest, hockey player, and Anglo-Quebecer.

The author did detailed research, describing aspects such as Bible discussions in a Pentecostal church congregation, terms like "squarehead" indicating interactions between francophones and anglophones in Quebec, the stigmas among Quebecers, and how the River Town children eagerly awaited winter to play hockey.

One of my favorite parts of the story was the hockey showdown between the riverboys and cityboys on their respective turfs. When the city kids were challenged to play on the frozen lake of the riverboys' territory, unexpected events unfolded. Even though it was a work of fiction, I enjoyed the message the author conveyed that hockey could be enjoyed by everyone.

I appreciated how this novel covered various complex topics set against the backdrop of Canada. The story frequently flashed back to Robert's childhood and adulthood, depicting his youth, first love, and the deaths of loved ones.

There was criticism of the church, the obsession of fans with Robert, and the detractors who wanted to get rid of him.

Friendships among fellow hockey players that surpassed family ties, biker gang wars, and police bureaucratic issues accompanied the story, which revolved around major political events in Quebec. The 1995 Quebec referendum, the pre-event process, and the aftermath of the closely contested Quebec election were well explained, making us feel as if we were transported back to that era.

Socio-economic analysis, political trends, and generational segments and their views on the referendum were well-presented in the story. I also learned a lot about Montreal, one of Canada's largest cities, its dark history, and its significance in Canada's economy and culture.

I gave this book a 5 out of 5 as a form of appreciation for a book that recounted many historical events and details of life as an Anglo-Quebecer.

In my opinion, there was nothing I disliked about this book. Reading it was an enjoyable process for me to gain a glimpse of Canadian history and the context of life in North America. Wasn't it a pleasant experience to learn about another country?

Canada is a complex country, with two main languages and the dynamics between francophones, anglophones, and allophones. Characters like Jean, Manon, Donna, Dionne, Esme, Serge, Laundry Micheline, and Frank made the story's dynamics interesting.

Murders, drugs, gang wars, defamation, and separatist movements coexisted with stories of conversion, sincerity, friendship, nationalism, and devotion to God. Like the title of Robert's book, "Lights and Shadows," this book blended these elements into a captivating narrative.

The well-written plot, neatly woven details, and flawless editing made this book enjoyable to read. I recommended this book to those who wanted to learn more about Canada, North America, Protestantism, and the interaction between francophones and anglophones over time.

The Icy Cross
View: on Bookshelves
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love how authors makes their researches on things especially when writing on a topic on similar niche. I applaud the author for this.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

From this wonderful review of this book, I can see how important history is to us, and I appreciate the wind knowledge of the narrator for a well researched job.
I can also feel from the review the emotional breeze from the book. Very impressive.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I am not sure if this book is for me but an awesome review from you!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Your review provides a thorough and engaging analysis of "Icy Cross" by Peter Bisaillion. You effectively convey the depth of the author's research and the rich historical context, which adds authenticity to the narrative. Highlighting the cultural nuances and socio-political backdrop, especially for readers unfamiliar with Canadian history, is particularly helpful. Your detailed recounting of key events, character dynamics, and the emotional journey of the protagonist, Robert Seigneur, paints a vivid picture of the book's multifaceted storyline. Your appreciation for the seamless blend of historical events and personal stories, combined with the book's flawless editing, underscores why you found it worthy of a 5 out of 5 rating. This review is insightful and will certainly attract readers interested in Canadian history and cultural interactions.
Tomi Ahmed
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

I can sense your enjoyment of this book through the review you have provided .
I live in South Africa and have noted that Canada is one of the popular emigration choices.
I don't find the need to emigrate. Still, I am open to learning about other countries, and this book sounds lovely in that it is a historical novel fiction that provides impeccable insight through its memoir-like approach, " ..from the perspective of Robert Seigneur.
This book certainly offers a lot about life experiences, politics, historical events, and the role of hockey amidst all matters in the backdrop of Canada.
Congratulations to the author!
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

C’est tres bien! Tony, I grew up not too far from Quebec and spent many winter nights in northern Vermont, close to the border. It’s a beautiful culture with a fascinating history, rich with French influence, besmirched by slavery and by early treatment of its indigenous people. Understanding of eastern Canadian life is something that takes time to build, generally (people assume it’s hockey, kindness, and underground shopping malls in Montreal). You’ve written a beautiful review here now that you’ve invested in developing your deeper understanding. Incredibly cool!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your deep dive into the cultural and historical context of 'Icy Cross' is impressive, and it sounds like you've connected deeply with the themes and stories. It's great to hear how the book broadened your understanding and appreciation of Canadian history and culture.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thank you for sharing this insightful review of “The Icy Cross” by Peter Bisaillion! It sounds like a rich and multifaceted novel that delves into various aspects of Canadian culture, history, and human dynamics.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I am Asian too. So I am very interested in delving into this book to learn about Canadian culture. 
Your review is good, but it is very long. It would have been better if you kept it short and simple. It is solely my opinion and not meant to discourage you in any way.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

Your review captures the depth and cultural richness of the novel. I appreciate how you highlighted the challenges and rewards of understanding North American culture from an Asian perspective. The detailed research on historical and cultural aspects seems very interesting. Great review!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Tomy, you did a wonderful thorough review of this book. I am Canadian and proud to be one. I have lived through much of what you have described in your review. I too, want to read this book and am excited to do so. It will be a nostalgic experience for me. I am adding it to my bookshelves. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This insightful review of "Icy Cross" by Peter Bisaillion highlights its immersive depiction of Canadian history and culture, offering readers a nuanced understanding of Anglo-Quebecer identity and the socio-political landscape of Quebec. As told by the reviewer the meticulous research undertaken by the author shines through in the detailed portrayal of events such as the Quebec referendum and the dynamics between francophones and anglophones. The narrative skill-fully weaves together complex themes including religion, hockey, politics, and social issues, providing a rich tapestry of Canadian life. With its compelling characters and seamless storytelling, "Icy Cross" earns a well-deserved rating of 5 out of 5, offering readers an enlightening journey through the complexities of Canadian society. The reviewer recommended this book for those seeking to delve into Canadian history and the intricacies of cultural interactions in North America.
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive review of "Icy Cross" by Peter Bisaillion. Your insights highlight the depth and richness of the novel, particularly in its exploration of Canadian history and culture.

It's fascinating to hear how the book provided a window into the complexities of North American culture, especially from the perspective of someone coming from Asia. Your dedication to understanding the historical and cultural context, including topics such as slavery, colonization, and the socio-political landscape of Canada, is commendable. This effort undoubtedly enriched your reading experience and allowed you to fully appreciate the intricacies of the story.

The detailed research conducted by the author, as you noted, brings authenticity to the narrative. The vivid descriptions of Bible discussions, the nuances of Quebecois terminology, and the vibrant depiction of hockey culture create an immersive experience. The hockey showdown between the riverboys and cityboys, which you highlighted as a favorite part, seems to encapsulate the spirit of community and competition that the sport fosters.

Your praise for the novel's handling of complex topics, from political events like the 1995 Quebec referendum to the socio-economic and cultural dynamics of Montreal, speaks to the book's educational value. It's wonderful to see how the story's characters and their intertwined lives added depth to the narrative, making it both engaging and enlightening.

The blend of historical fiction with memoir-like elements, coupled with a well-written plot and flawless editing, clearly made "Icy Cross" a standout read for you. Your recommendation for those interested in Canadian history, North American culture, and the Protestant faith is much appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your experience with "Icy Cross." Your review not only showcases the book's merits but also encourages others to delve into its pages and explore the rich tapestry of Canadian life it portrays.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

A well researched book that enlightens us about Canada's rich history, culture, socio-economic scenarios, and life in general. The diversity of the characters add depth to the storytelling and the narrative. Icy Cross certainly stands out in its genre. I enjoyed reading your review and learning about all the nuances of this book. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days

Return to “Historical Fiction”