Review of The Indian and Me

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Black Witch Moth by C. Michael Curry

Review of The Indian and Me

Post by Florence Daniel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Indian and Me" by Cathy DesRosiers Peebles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Historical fiction books transport readers to different eras and offer insightful perspectives on the past through a compelling fusion of imagination and reality. These works realistically recreate historical events through well-researched settings and characters, bringing the past to life in a way that textbooks frequently cannot. Historical fiction helps readers comprehend the complexity of history by drawing them into the lives and hardships of people from the past.

"Amidst the turbulent conflict between Americans, British, and Indians during the Revolutionary War, The improbable romance between Kitchi, a man of mixed Indian and white ancestry, and Julia Rainsford, the rich daughter of an English family, is explored in Cathy DesRosiers Peebles' book "The Indian and Me." Their love story develops in the middle of a war, negotiating issues of identity, allegiance, and the pursuit of forbidden passion against a backdrop of warfare and cultural divides. Their illicit passion burned so brilliantly, but would it eventually devour Kitchi, Julia, and everyone around them? Why, during the Revolutionary War, did their love story have such significance? Find the answers to these questions in this book. 

"The Indian and Me" is a riveting historical saga that immerses readers in the complexities of colonial America. The author intertwines the lives of diverse characters, showcasing their struggles, triumphs, and the enduring power of familial bonds. From the resilience of Julia Rainsford to the bravery of Kitchi, each character's journey is richly detailed and emotionally resonant. Peebles deftly navigates themes of love, identity, and cultural clashes, painting a vivid portrait of a tumultuous era. Readers will find themselves captivated by the characters' resilience and rooting for their triumphs amidst the challenges they face.

My favorite character is Julia because her steadfast dedication to upholding her Christian faith in the face of hardship makes her a very remarkable character in the novel. Throughout the book, Julia faces many obstacles and misfortunes, yet she never wavers in her convictions and finds comfort and strength in her religion. Julia's steadfast adherence to her religion in the face of chaos highlights the significant role that faith plays in helping people get through trying times.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. In the book, Megan Rainsford's incredible bravery and tenacity make her a very exceptional character. Megan's choice to travel to America from London to find her sister Julia demonstrates her unflinching bravery in the face of difficulty. Even though crossing continents during a period of extreme turmoil presents enormous obstacles and concerns, Megan is unwavering in her resolve to meet up with her sister. Her selflessness is a potent reminder of the extent to which people would go to protect those they cared about. The book is exceptionally edited. 

I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for some reasons. First, the storytelling and well-developed characters immerse readers in the vivid world of colonial America, making it easy to empathize with their struggles and triumphs. Secondly, the author skillfully weaves historical events and cultural nuances into the narrative, providing both educational insight and compelling drama. 

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction with richly developed characters. It will especially appeal to those interested in colonial America and Native American history.

The Indian and Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

Megan Rainsford's remarkable bravery and selflessness in seeking out her sister, Julia, showcase the depth of familial bonds and the lengths to which individuals are willing to go for those they love. Megan's character adds an intriguing layer of complexity to the narrative, emphasizing the importance of familial relationships in the face of adversity.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Robert Cortes »

The Indian and Me by Cathy DesRosiers Peebles transports readers to the turbulent era of colonial America, where the improbable romance between Kitchi, a man of mixed Indian and white ancestry, and Julia Rainsford, the daughter of an English family, unfolds amidst the backdrop of the Revolutionary War. Their love story navigates issues of identity, allegiance, and forbidden passion against the backdrop of warfare and cultural divides.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Raw Deal by Lee Fishman

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"The Indian and Me" by Cathy DesRosiers Peebles, this review offers an enticing glimpse into a richly detailed historical fiction set during the Revolutionary War. The book's exploration of a forbidden romance between Kitchi, a man of mixed Indian and white ancestry, and Julia Rainsford, the daughter of an English family, promises a captivating narrative filled with themes of love, identity, and cultural conflicts.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The novel delves into the lives of diverse characters, showcasing their struggles and triumphs. Central themes include love, identity, and cultural clashes, with richly detailed, emotionally resonant character journeys.

Return to “Historical Fiction”