Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like a wonderful thriller book with romance and loads of action. I like the fact that there are various cultural introductions in it. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

Thank you for the review. This book seems to be a thriller with some level of suspense, and a bit of historic fiction. It must be interesting to follow the story of Yi and find out how he recovered from the disgrace caused to him by Japan.
Pankaj Tiwari 2
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 13
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Pankaj Tiwari 2 »

The book is a very exciting as it tells us about the history. To know about our past is also important so that the same can done better for the human life.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hy Be »

Nice review. "The Abalone Ukulele" by R.Crossland revolves around Yi's story in Japan who evolved from humility and disgrace to powerful person. The author beautifully depicted human resilience through Yi's character.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Popop's Grimoire by Chandler McGrew

Post by Chris Agbara »

"The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland intricately weaves historical events and rich characters into an immersive tale of honor, redemption, and international intrigue. A must-read for fans of historical fiction with a penchant for Asian adventures.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first, I was nervous when you said it's not an easy read, but it seems like by the halfway point, it settles. I like historical fiction, and you've given it 4/4 stars so I'm going to give this one a read. Thanks.
Dun123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dun123.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Dun123 »

This seems to be an interesting historical fiction story involving the Asian peninsular. If you enjoy adventure, this is for you.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The Abalone Ukulele spans continents and cultures to tell an ambitious tale of revenge and redemption. Crossland brings early 20th century Asia alive through careful historical detail and multi-faceted characters like the Korean outcast Skookum Yi. The complex writing and many new terms make this a challenging read, but Crossland helps orient the reader by providing a glossary and links. Once immersed in the meticulously crafted world, I was invested in rooting for Yi and his American naval allies. Crossland weaves real historical events into a creative adventure that teaches as much as it entertains. Worth the effort for fans of historical fiction.
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 160%

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

"The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland is a historical fiction with a cultural introduction. The content of the story is complex but intriguing. The author has drawn inspiration from actual historical events and people. A glossary with links to several words in the story is present at the end. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cookie by John R. Johnson
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 38%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

This historical novel is a thrilling adventure that reveals how ordinary people can shape history with their courage, cunning, and compassion in extraordinary circumstances. Set in East Asia in the early 20th century, the book depicts the clash of four cultures over gold, power, and freedom. The author skillfully creates a rich and authentic world full of intrigue, action, and romance. This book is a must-read for fans of naval history and historical fiction. Congrats to the author, #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Post by Esther Deekor »

This book sounds too complex, even the title emanates that. I'll pass on this one as I'm not a fan of sci-fi novels plus, the book's complexity. Anyways, congratulations on BOTD!!
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

The book follows Skookum Yi as he tries to gain back his honor. Yi was responsible for bringing Korea's tribute to the Emperess of China. When Japanese insurgents rob him of the tribute, he falls in disgrace and is forced to leave Korea. Will he succeed?
Wairimu Mimo
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Wairimu Mimo »

The Abalone Ukulele, it is an intriguing historical fiction, where the author unites and shows diversity in Japanese , Korean, and American cultures through Yi's adventures to regain his honor. Just a beautiful dive into history and it's wonderful that the author draws inspiration from real events and original history.
Cristal Lopez
Currently Reading: Habits of Holistic Health Transformational Manual for Those with Substance Abuse Addictions
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Cristal Lopez »

It's been a long time since I've sat down and actually enjoyed a book. I can't wait to see what happens Next. I enjoy history and where it takes me.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Crossland's meticulous attention to historical detail and the intricate interplay of cultures kept me enthralled from start to finish. This novel's rich tapestry of characters and events left an indelible mark on my literary palate.

Return to “Historical Fiction”