Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhavya Mittal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhavya-mittal.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Post by Bhavya Mittal »

The review for this book seems very graceful. I'm glad to hear that you found the plot captivating and the characters well-developed. It's always great to discover a new book that we can get lost in! Congrats on BOTD.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Novembers by Norman Cristofoli
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.

Mark Twain

It doesn't surprise me that the character will do anything to clear his name. Honor is an aspect more important than life in Korean society as well as most Asian society. You are right, the sample did have me confused but I am going to trust your judgement and try the book.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Nelly Wairimu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nelly Wairimu »

Although am not much into historical fictions and adventures, the book is so captivating. Am glad you enjoyed the flow of the story.

Great review!
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

Skookum Yi, a warrior from Korea, becomes a disgrace after Japanese insurgents intercept his tribute to China. He travels to Alaska, Canada, and San Francisco, meeting Ephraim and seeking revenge against the Spuytens who kill Ephraim. The book is actually an easy read, congratulations on becoming the book of the day.
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

Fundamentally, the Abalone Ukulele is an authentic love letter to Asian culture and sailors' maritime adventures. The work showcases author R. L. Crossland's deep understanding of sailing and many Asian civilizations. It is a book of maritime intrigue that spans multiple years and locales. For readers who are familiar with Asian cultures and naval groups, this tale is a welcome read; yet, it may be a little challenging for those who are not. There's no doubt that the audience will love this novel.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

How amazing it is when a seemingly difficult story ends up becoming a page-turner and even earns a perfect rating. I am happy that the three primary characters were introduced progressively; this indeed makes it easier to understand them individually and their actions later. The story is gripping, and so I have added it to my shelf. I cannot wait to see how love and lust complicate the plan to steal the gold ingots.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Oddly enough, I'm into books that aren't easy to read. I love complex writing, it stimulates my mind and helps me form a relationship with the characters by the time the full story is rolling out.
I would enjoy following Yi on his adventure which seems very complicated. And I'm curious to know why he holds Hobson in such high regard. Did he save his life? What is it that he did? Overall, this seems like an interesting adventure-driven book I'd enjoy reading
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Harshita Goyal _
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshita-goyal.html
Latest Review: God's Gift (Woman) by Freddie Floyd Jr
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 29%

Post by Harshita Goyal _ »

A charming and whimsical tale of friendship and adventure set against the backdrop of a magical ukulele.
Harshita
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Posthumous Remorse by Shepperd Rourke

Post by sanjeev maurya »

Wow, your review of "The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland is incredibly detailed and insightful! It sounds like a rich and immersive journey through various cultures and historical events. I appreciate how you highlighted the depth of character development, especially with Skookum Yi, and the seamless progression of the storyline despite its complexity. The inclusion of a Glossary with links to unfamiliar terms is a thoughtful touch by the author. Your honesty about the initial challenge of settling into the story, followed by being captivated by it, speaks volumes about the book's ability to draw readers in. The incorporation of real historical events and people adds another layer of authenticity to the narrative. Thanks for sharing your thoughts—I'm definitely adding this book to my reading list!
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

The Abalone Ukulele has a great cover. The storyline and characters seem well developed and I like that readers can learn about the culture and customs of the characters in the story. This book is perfect for people who like historical fiction.
Metlha Cynthia Kilano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Metlha Cynthia Kilano »

I didn't have any light about the history and culture of India and Japan but now I am starting to learn more... I am grateful
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Uma gupta »

Your review is a thorough examination of "The Abalone Ukulele," showing its benefits and one tiny flaw. The pros include a well-developed protagonist, Skookum Yi, whose journey is filled with depth and understanding. The slow growth of the tale, combined with diligent research, results in a satisfying reading experience. The inclusion of a glossary displays the author's concern for the reader. However, some readers may be put off by the book's difficulty at first. Overall, your respect for creative genius and historical depth provides a strong case for historical fiction fans, while also acknowledging the review's complexity.

Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

I'm curious about the historical places that inspired Crossland to write this book. Thank you for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Prabhat Sunil Mathur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prabhat-sunil-mathur.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Post by Prabhat Sunil Mathur »

Your comprehensive review of "The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland provides a detailed insight into the intricate storyline and well-developed characters. The acknowledgment of the author's meticulous research and the gradual progression of the narrative is a testament to the depth of the storytelling. The inclusion of a Glossary with links to unfamiliar terms is a thoughtful touch, aiding readers in navigating the complex cultural and historical aspects.
DL Gardene
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DL Gardene »

The Abalone Ukulele

We are taken on a journey with Yi as he flees Korea. He is able to travel to other places. He then wants to regain his honor he joins the U.S Navy. If you love reading about tributes to warriors then this is the book for you. Congratulations.

Return to “Historical Fiction”