Review of Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manuellalorris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Review of Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird

Post by Manuellalorris »

The book is an eye-opener that informs on the dynamic nature of people and who they interact with.
ErandikaHerath
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Time for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herath-erandika.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by ErandikaHerath »

"Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird" by Jimmie Martinez seems to be an interesting story. I also didn't have much idea about the Cajun people and I understandbe this will a great pick to learn a bit.Thanks for the review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 563
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Historical perspectives about the Cajun people and their experiences seem intriguing in this story.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first I was going to skip this novel, but you made it sound like it's actually my kind of book. A thriller with some historical impact sounds ideal. I'm glad there's also some light-hearted moments as it could get quite deep. Thank you, I'm adding it to my want to read list.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

This is a cultural heritage fiction book set in New Orleans in the 1950s and 60s. I found it interesting that Noel Corbin was a lawyer working for the Cajun mob while fighting pro bono cases amidst the prejudiced injustice of the legal system. Great book review!
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 632
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I'm excited to read this book as I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot in general. I can't wait to see if Noel's attorney will get it right to prove his innocence. Racism is such a hateful thing and it's just sad to realise, we still haven't evolve enough to see past color. Thanks for a great review.
Sharon Benny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-benny.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Sharon Benny »

'Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird,' by Jimmie Martinez, is a compelling investigation of Cajun ancestry and racial dynamics. Noel, a fascinating and intellectual individual, piques our interest with his challenges. The novel's capacity to rekindle Cajun interest is impressive, as is its ability to shed light on the complexities of racism and the legal system during a time of segregation. It offers an eye-opening view into history, making it an intriguing read for cultural, heritage, and history buffs. Martinez's work is a compelling reminder of the need of remembering and learning from our past, making it a must-read for anybody seeking a deeper understanding of these subjects.
Sumit Sangwan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumit-sangwan.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Sumit Sangwan »

The fineness of the review is reckoning. An amazing legal thriller for the readers to deep dive into the world of Cajun sociology, the conflict simmering inside to reposition to the new present, and the tryst to overcome the two, is a great blend in historical recirculation.
Hasani Piyumika Perera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Alpha Buddies Land
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasani-piyumika-perera.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Hasani Piyumika Perera »

This review has me itching to pick it up as soon as possible. 🤩 Noel Corbin's character sounds intriguing. I can't wait to dive into this captivating read. 
Gagan Deep
Currently Reading: Abram
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Gagan Deep »

"Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird" by Jimmie Martinez immerses readers in Cajun history through the captivating journey of Noel 'Crow' Corbin. From Bon Terre to New Orleans, follow Crow's path as he faces challenges and grows into a remarkable individual. The book's rich historical context and authentic storytelling breathe life into characters like Ella and Noel. It unveils biases in the justice system, offering a poignant reflection of societal struggles. With a fast-paced, accessible style and moments of levity, this legal thriller with historical depth is a must-read.
Puspa Rasmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puspa-rasmi.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Puspa Rasmi »

At first glance, I really have no idea what the story is about. But your review really helped me to understand this book better. I am glad that the author explained Caljun's history, society, and background. I think it will be a comforting and heartwarming type of book.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

Jimmie Martinez seems to be a very talented writer of legal thriller on social justice with historical undertone. I am curious about this line in the cover page review: "Representing his first innocent client, the morally dented attorney learns powerful lessons about redemption, morality, love, and God." You throw light on this in your well written review. It seems to be an interesting and intriguing plot about culture, tradition, and social justice. I like to read this sometime.
Congratulations Jimmie Martinez on the BOTD!
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: La alambrada by José Marzo

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

Our society needs writers who are not afraid to present the truth to readers about issues such as human rights, racism, and injustice.
I didn't know about the Cajun people before and I appreciate these books for introducing me to these issues.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I don't know much about the Cajun culture, but I'm aware that Louisiana is where most of the Acadian descendants from France settled in Louisiana in the late 1700s. I'm always open to learning about the history and culture of the Acadians. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by MMcB »

Starting with a brief introduction of the history of Cajun people, *Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird* by Jimmie Martinez, is a brief look at the area, culture and life of people around New Orleans. There are depictions of racism and injustice in this story. Although much of the story is about poverty and unfairness there is lightheartedness, family, bravery, inspiration and love also. It is a thriller with historical background and is an easy read.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill

Return to “Historical Fiction”