Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
reycosmos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reycosmos.html
Latest Review: Orcas Forever by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Re: Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by reycosmos »

This sounds like quite a fascinating historical fiction. The review is great. I would love to read this amazing work.
Jessica Wielichowski
Currently Reading: The Truth Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jessica Wielichowski »

This seems like a very thought provoking book. Although I'm not sure I would enjoy the emotional heaviness, your description of this story makes me want to read it.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

With Amora's newfound faith as a Christian, she is left with the difficult decision of whether to forgive or avenge the death of her daughter. I know how hard it is to make such a decision, but most of the time, vengeance is not the way to find peace.
Karen Gutfeld
Currently Reading: Ambitions
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-gutfeld.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Karen Gutfeld »

This review is a good presentation of the book and its theme of forgiveness in the face of tragedy and persecution. I found the rich depiction of Roman society intriguing, and I wanted to read further to find out more. The reviewer's mention of a sublot romance between Antonio and Maria and also the disclosure that there is a plot twist at the end further contributed to my desire to continue all the way and discover what happens to all of these very interesting individuals, how Amora and Maria end up in the arena -- and what happens next.
Ariana Leman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ariana Leman »

Thank you for this review! The concept of having to choose between vengeance and forgiveness is something I think is relatable to anyone, regardless of their faith and this sounds like it is written in a way that really shows the agony that can come with having to make that choice. It sounds like it’s not a light read so I’ll be sure to bear that in mind when I choose to read it.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review; it was well-summarized and beautifully written. The author has done a wonderful job creating this book and transporting its readers to a setting in ancient Rome. I loved the intrigue built in the first chapter and wanted to know what would happen to Amora. The opulent wedding scene in the second chapter was immensely immersive. I don't usually enjoy historical fiction, but this book has piqued my interest. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I have never read this book before, but reading in the review that Amora is thinking about forgiving the person who killed her daughter is a hard task. I'm interested in Amora's story and I want to follow her growth as a person after all the turmoil that happened in her life. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Thank you for this review. I'm intrigued by the Amora and why she chose to be a Christian during this period.
Victoria Zoe
Currently Reading: The Divine Memoir
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-zoe.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Victoria Zoe »

This is a progressive read, Amora had a painful event, thereafter she had an encounter with Jesus which led to her letting go of the feeling of hurt experienced after the murder of her daughter. I admire her courage to establish a foundation in remembrance of her child. Congratulations on the book of the day and a nice review.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Thank you for the insightful and captivating review of "Amora." Grant J. Hallstrom masterfully weaves historical events with intriguing characters, making it a thought-provoking read. Your appreciation of the book's themes and editing is well-noted. It's a compelling story worth revisiting. Great review! 🌟
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

Amora's choice is a difficult one, whether one's a Christian or not. We are wired (most of us) to protect our young. But this book seems like a fascinating way to learn about early Christianity. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

Sounds like a heavy read. Nice review. I am not much interested in historical fiction but this one seems thought provoking.
ahink5721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ahink5721 »

What a thorough review, this story sounds very interesting. Like you say, I am a Christian as well and at times there is such a disconnect between what we think is “fair” and God’s plan. It sounds like there are a few different themes to the book and I look forward to catching them!
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

I have always heard about the evolution of Christianity in Rome, especially what the early Christians had to go through. This book is worth reading. I would like to know if Amora new found religion will help her endure the pains of her daughter's death.
Saumya Guptaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saumya-guptaa.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Saumya Guptaa »

The review paints a beautiful picture of a rich Roman era. The choice between forgiveness and revenge when a person goes through something excruciating, is a very heavy topic. This book might not be to my liking, but I'm sure it will cater to the appropriate audience. Congratulations on BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”