Review of Sh*t Happens

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Devesh Patel
Currently Reading: Where Is Your Eternal Destiny? Heaven or Hell
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devesh-patel.html
Latest Review: Passion Struck by John R. Miles

Re: Review of Sh*t Happens

Post by Devesh Patel »

"Sh*t Happens" delivers a powerful narrative set against the tumultuous backdrop of the Vietnam War era, weaving complex characters and societal critiques into a rich historical tapestry. Despite its engaging storytelling and well-crafted characters, the novel's abrupt ending leaves readers yearning for more closure. This flaw, however, doesn't overshadow the book's insightful exploration of the era's challenges and the personal growth of its characters. A compelling read.
Anaïs Quesson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Oh, your exceptional review made me want to read this book... until you mentioned the abrupt and disappointing ending. I'm glad to read you still enjoyed most of the book and gave it a pretty high rating, but it is deterring me from reading it. Maybe I will try, one day, as it sounds like a fantastic historical fiction. I will keep your comments in mind.
Thank you, Kirsi. This is a great and detailed review. Keep up the good work!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Bhavya Mittal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhavya-mittal.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Bhavya Mittal »

This book is a powerful and thought-provoking read. James doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of war and its far-reaching consequences. The complex character development and intricate plot lines kept me engaged from start to finish. While the open-ended conclusion was a bit frustrating, it also left room for interpretation and discussion. Congrats on #BOTD
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

The upper-class Rachel with the dope-smoking hippie Jenny, the local farm boy named Spanner who goes to war and falls in love with a Vietnamese girl, all sound fascinating but the fact that there are almost 500 pages, is a little too much for me. So I will pass on this book. Thank you for a great review.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Your review of "Sh*t Happens" provides a captivating glimpse into the intricate lives of its characters amidst the tumultuous backdrop of the Vietnam War era. It's commendable how the author skillfully weaves together complex societal issues within a vivid narrative. While your praise for the book's insightful storytelling and character development is evident, it's disappointing to hear that the ending fell short of your expectations, leaving unanswered questions. Nonetheless, your thorough analysis and balanced critique make your review a valuable guide for prospective readers.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

We never know what’s going to happen, do we? Rachel, Steve, Lien, and probably even Phuc and Commander Chinh all found that out. Congratulations on BOTD!
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Post by Seetha E »

Kirsi has provided an excellent synopsis of the book. Based on my initial impression, I loved the writing style and anticipate enjoying this historical fiction with its many characters. It has been added to my TBR list. Congratulations on being selected as the BOTD!
Himanshu K Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himanshu-k-yadav.html
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo

Post by Himanshu K Yadav »

One of the key strengths of "Sh*t Happens" is James' candid storytelling. Through a series of personal anecdotes, he shares his own experiences of overcoming adversity, and the valuable lessons he has learned along the way. Congrats on #BOTD
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber

Post by Do Thi Huong »

I appreciate your in-depth review. It seems like a very well-written historical fiction book. However, I prefer stories with happy endings, so I probably skip this.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Well done review!
Have you ever been, metaphorically, dealt a bad hand of cards? Sometimes destiny throws such hands at us without explanations, regardless of how good we've been. Regrettably, bad hands often lead to bad choices. Our circumstances tend to get only worse, and we reach the point where we can do nothing but shrug our shoulders and face the consequences.
This has pretty much been the story of my life, in a myriad of ways, for over a decade now.
Furthermore, the author's ability to understandably tell such a complicated story with so many characters was fabulous. This book consists of almost 500 pages, but I never felt lost or confused. The narration was well-structured and clear, and the story was easy to follow.
That’s not an easy feat and many have fumbled at it. So, color me very impressed! However, it does also heighten the fact that the ending was apparently a huge let-down. Like the reviewer, the possibility of a sequel is typically my first thought in a situation like that. I guess you can only hope for as much when the story is that good.
Eisha Nadeem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eisha-nadeem.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Post by Eisha Nadeem »

This insightful historical fiction captures the turbulence of the Vietnam War era with skillful storytelling and vibrant characters. While the journey through its pages is riveting, the abrupt ending leaves a lingering sense of disappointment. Despite this, 'Sh*t Happens' remains a captivating read, especially for those interested in the complexities of societal and political themes.
Neelam Sheikh 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neelam Sheikh 1 »

Authentic fiction is actually my thing 🤩. I love the innovative psyche it takes to draft out an old story in a contemporary time, it's generally so gorgeous to peruse.
In the mean time, when I know about guardians being angry with children's choices and children being enraged with their folks, I generally will quite often grasp the two gatherings - they are seeing according to alternate points of view -
Pleasant audit and I want to believe that we as a whole can mess with predetermination and have it help us out.
Genny Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genny-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Genny Ugochukwu »

This review offers a thorough and insightful analysis of "Sh*t Happens" by Gavin L. James. The reviewer skillfully highlights the book's strengths, such as its intricate portrayal of historical events and societal issues, as well as its well-developed characters and engaging narrative style. However, the review also points out a significant flaw in the abrupt ending, which left the reviewer feeling disappointed. Overall, this review provides valuable feedback for potential readers while showcasing the book's merits and drawbacks.
chiara milione
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-milione.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by chiara milione »

This review appears to be thoughtful and thorough. The reviewer commits to providing an honest opinion about the book’s strengths and areas where it falls short. The reported plot is captivating and engaging, enticing readers to delve into the book. Additionally, the review suggests the most suitable target audience. Overall, it effectively justifies the book’s rating, allowing readers to form clear expectations.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Olga Markova »

As ever, your review is superb, Kirsi! I sampled the Prologue and the episode introducing Rachel and her parents on the day Rachel decided to attend a peace march without telling her parents. I have yet to read up to her meeting Jenny and any future events, but your comment about the disappointing ending that felt like a wet rag on your face is intriguing! I can't express my view as I have not read the book to the end but it made me wonder if I would feel like you or if the Prologue somehow tied up any loose ends.

Return to “Historical Fiction”