Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And...

Post by lesler »

This Naval historical drama looks really interesting. I've really captivated by Zack's journey, and hopes he gets home to Tally soon.
Lexcreativz 05
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lexcreativz 05 »

Miller writes this captivating story which brings about an enthralling drama, heart racing action, sweet romance, realistic characters and an in depth research. A complex, wonderfully researched story about a veteran who struggles with his health as a victim of the U.S. defoliation program in this debut novel. It portrays not just the Vietnam War but its neglected patriots, that pushes the boundaries of typical historical fiction literature and exposes history in a profound way.
It is engaging, fast paced, believable, surprising, sad, heartwarming and ultimately enlightening...all the qualities I look for in a good book. I am glad I had the chance to read it and would recommend to others.
Thanks Miller
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a great book. It is terrible that many sailors didn't receive compensation. That's nice that it has an interesting and humorous introduction. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

The Vietnam War was such a bad time for US soldiers, and the treatment they faced upon their return was even worse. It’s good to see someone who can share this and help us remember so that we never repeat those mistakes again.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 448
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I had heard about the horrific Vietnam war, but this book almost takes us to know about the ground reality and the sufferings of the people who fought in this war. Zachariah Martin who just completed his high school becomes navy sailor leaving behind his normal domestic life at home, but after returning home he had to fight for the compensation that he deserved from the state. Author Randy Miller has nicely crafted the characters combining seriousness and humor together in this book which makes it quite engaging.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Historical fiction is my all time type of genre. The fact that Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermaths is based on a true story makes it a more interesting historical fiction story. I will definitely add it to my want to read list. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I thoroughly enjoyed your review, especially the part where the author manages to injection some humor into an otherwise tragic story. This seems like an interesting book, even though the naval aspect of any war doesn’t hold much interest for me. I appreciate your comments; many thanks.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

A book that evokes a lot of emotions for those passionate about the war. I am not among them, unfortunately.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Vietnam war is one of the wars that gave many stories for the authors to build up their own stories. Definitely this one is an interesting book. Congratulations on being BOTD
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1021
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Thief and Me by Cathy DesRosiers Peebles

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have always liked reading war stories. The fact that it is based on true events is a plus point.

Thank you for the great review.
wittycurve

Post by wittycurve »

"Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.] This book is a bomber. Intro,plot and conclusion are all in accurate timing. Great writing.
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

I am not a big fan of historical fiction. But I loved the plot. War stories and the aftermath of a war are always disturbing. I am quite intrigued to read this book.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

The journey that Martin and his friends embark on should be risky and horrible as they are new in the war tone town, which is Vietnam. There is more danger ahead apart from the horror of the gun shots and the other weapons might cause them.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This fictional account of the War in Vietnam sounds emotional, to say the least. I am glad the author discusses the aftermath of the war, love, and friendship. Congrats on the book of the day! Great review!

Post by 12810 »

:D Deadly waters, Vietnam naval war is an interesting story full of humour as seen between petty officer's who spoke with twancy acents that zack could not gasp,and romance between zack and tally theyah.its also full of laughs as zack is being told to repeat whatever OOD says when he gives an order, and also sad.The Vietnam naval war happened a long time ago and the author seems to have known well the story of Vietnam war.

Return to “Historical Fiction”