Official Review: Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles

Post by Manang Muyang »

Marty, a young female reporter circa WWII, wants to make a mark. Will she succeed without encouraging her male editor's unwanted attention? Will her fiance, Eddy, make it safely back from soldier duty? I'm eager to find out.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

You did a great job reviewing this book. It seems like it has everything it needs for an exciting novel. I am adding this to my "to read" list. Thanks.
Alphonsius
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphonsius.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Alphonsius »

I am already begining to like Marty. But I have a feeling that the discrimination against women in the society has not changed much as compared to early days. Therefore, we need more characters portrayed in the book in this challenging world, fighting for gender equality. Thanks for the review.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

With messages this book provides, like history, love, and being true to yourself all while solving a mystery, lovers of romance, historical fiction and mystery will all find something to enjoy.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Marty's story may be set around WWII but is quite relatable even in present times. Her character is admirable and her zeal to overcome hurdles in her life, worth emulating. This is a story I would enjoy reading as I love historical fiction. Thank you for an enlightening review.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The book sounds exciting and pretty fast paced. Besides it will be interesting to read about how the women struggled to gain their place in a post war society. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

So you had your revenge on the author letting the end hanging. You did the same with your review. :D
It looks indeed like a book I would like to read: the period is that when my mother was young and just married and suffering from what is now called sexual harassment from her boss.
Also, I am a total fan of good romance.
Thank you for the nice and thorough review. :tiphat:
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This sounds like an amazing book. It is nice sometimes when the author leaves the book somewhat open so each reader can imagine what would happen. I’m curious if this may have been done to create an opportunity for a sequel. Thanks for the review - will definitely be a book I check out
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

With as much as the author takes the readers to the history of the fall of Germany and World War II, he highlights a crucial theme that relates well with our modern women and the struggle they go through Marty. This is one book to look up to for entertainment. Great review and congratulations to the author on BOTD.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

This seems like a likable and interesting read. I've always wanted to learn more about how World War II affected the work lifestyle in the U.S. Thanks for the review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Fugitiva
Bookshelf Size: 2422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: An Unlamented Death by Mary Adler
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Martha Tolles immerses the reader into United States wartime through the eyes of a young woman. This book shows the struggle an average, yet ambitious women had during the end of World War II. With many of the young men off fighting, women could enter the job market. While they could enter, there was resistance and resentment from the men who were still working. The amount of pressure to do well is felt through the experiences and thoughts Marty had. I could feel the pull of emotions she felt when deciding how to handle her editor’s friendliness. Fear of losing your job from denying advances from a boss is not something we feel today. Being able to see how the first working females felt and what they would have gone through every day is inspiring. Martha Tolles shows how strong women are and the amount they put on the line for both the war effort and for the future of female equality.
How unfortunate that things haven't changed that much for females in the workplace. But women like Marty opened the way for all of us. It's a great premise for a book. Thanks for your great review!
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

The struggles in times of depression and crisis are quite different than any other ordinary day even though the people living it are accustomed to it. This novel appears to have captured the essence of it all while keeping the will of living alive. Even in dark times, there is ambition, hope, future plans and wishes access.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Marty sounds like a strong female protagonist who is a reporter at a time when women were first getting into the workforce. I like that the book has intrigue, mystery, history, and romance in it; I think I would enjoy reading it. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles seems a good novel with a good plot. Doesn't matter which century we are living in, women always have to struggle for their pride.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This is a historical mystery romance about a woman reporter during World War II. Women joined the workforce because of the shortage of men for the positions during the war, but they were not welcomed by the prejudice men still at home. Congratulations to the author for writing this important story chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your excellent and honest review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”