Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 103%

Re: Review of The Abalone Ukulele

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review. You were not afraid to state what you did not like about the book. Unfortunately, I usually do not read historical fiction, so I will pass on this one. I am glad that you enjoyed the book even though the first half was confusing.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by Skookum Yi's work as a courier man who handles Korea's tribute to China. I am interested in learning why the Spuytens murdered Ephraim, a person whom Yi regards affectionately.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1023
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Thief and Me by Cathy DesRosiers Peebles

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Yi's quest to regain his honor is both honorable and adventurous.

Thank you for the great review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Well-written and researched, today's BOTD is a historical fiction novel told in five parts that readers of the genre will thoroughly enjoy. In addition, those interested in Asian culture and history, as well as adventure, are in for a treat with this one. Thank you for the amazing review. Bravo! :-)
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

From your review this book promises to be a page turner. though it is not an easy read, the gradual progression of the story helped ease the complexity for you. I'm not a history buff. guess I won't be able to find enjoyment in its complexity. Your detailed and insightful review is very helpful for potential readers to consider. Well done.
Olaseni ademide
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaseni-ademide.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Olaseni ademide »

The Abalone Ukulele" by R. L. Crossland is an action-adventure novel that tells the story of Skookum Yi, how he was disgraced, and how he must regain his honor. It is an interesting historical fiction book. Congratulations on BOTD.
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Rispo »

It seems like an intricate story with a captivating plot. It also seems to show places one can only dream of. Congrats on BOTD!
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
beccakaave
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by beccakaave »

This book is a fuse of historical adventure and fiction, where three different cultures unify and complot. At the beginning the story portrays Yi as the main character giving an insight on his background and journey towards reclamation and quest for revenge on the Japans by stealing their gold ingots with the help of Hobson and Draper.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction following Yi, a Korean warrior, who must deliver Korea's tribute to China. The issue arises when Japanese insurgents intercept the tribute and Yi must flee to America in disgrace. Will he make a new life for himself in the new world? It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Korean, Chinese and Japanese history in the early 20th Century is not one I'm familiar with. However, the author starts to paint a picture of the cultural differences and animosities between these and others. An interesting read.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

The Abalone Ukulele is a novel by R. L. Crossland, set in Korea during the Mugwa era. The protagonist, Skookum Yi, is a courier man who handles Korea's tribute to China and ensures it reaches the Empress of China. When Japanese insurgents intercept the tribute, Yi becomes a disgrace and is forced to flee Korea. He travels to various locations, including Alaska, Canada, and San Francisco, where he meets Ephraim, whom he affectionately regards. However, the Spuytens murder Ephraim, and Yi must regain his honor and pay the Spuytens back in their coin. To do so, Yi enlists the help of the US Navy, particularly officers Hobson and Draper, to steal gold ingots from Imperial Japan.

The story is divided into five parts, with the first part detailing Yi's story, setting the tone for later parts. The author fleshes out Hobson's character, explaining why he is emotionally tied to Korea and why Yi holds him in high regard. By the time we meet Draper, the final instrumental character in the theft of the gold ingots, there is no room for confusion, and the story progresses smoothly.

The author's complex writing style helps reduce confusion due to the complex world he created. The book is not science fiction, but it is a work of creative genius, with many new words and cultural introductions. The author included a Glossary with links to several words in the story, which helped readers understand the meaning of new words without interruption.

Despite the challenges, the book is a work of creative genius, rating it 4 out of 4. It is suitable for historical fiction buffs and those who enjoy reading about Asian adventures. The book contains profanity and some sexual scenes.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 712
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 72%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Abalone Ukulele” by R. L. Crossland is a story about a warrior named Skookum Yi a member of the Mugwa in Korea. Yi was a currier that was responsible for a tribute to China sent from Korea to the Empress of China. The tribute was intercepted and Yi became an outcast and disgrace in Japan and he was forced to flee to Korea. He then traveled to Alaska, Canada and San Francisco. Yi must recover his reputation so he asks the U.S. Navy for help so he can pay his debt in gold. He asks two U.S. Navy officers to help him steal gold ingots from Imperial Japan. The book has 5 parts and per the official review it was not an easy read but still worth 4 out of 4 stars as a fictional story. One needs to read the book to learn the outcome.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1950
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Abalone Ukulele' by R.L. Crossland presents a systematic framework of the reading content for readers. It provides the readers with the clarity of the intricate plot of the historical fiction story. The point that this is a story about love and lust involved in international matters is worth mentioning in the review. Readers get to feel the protagonist's humility, suffering, and foresight. Also, as mentioned in the review, the author drew inspiration from actual historical events and people. Learning that the book is a work of creative genius was great!
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Dalia Chf »

I read this book and it's the perfect blend and collision of all the cultures of the Asian side of the world. You will never be bored while reading this historical fiction! I agree with you, it was not an easy read, but it's so worth it! Great review!
ken4512
Favorite Book: You Speak for Me Now
Currently Reading: The Adnentures of Amina al-Sirafi
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ken4512.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by ken4512 »

Thank you for your great review of The Abalone Ukulele by R. L. Crossland.
I plan to read this historical fiction for its fascinating and gripping storyline, exceptional character development, intriguing mystery, and well-crafted story stretching across different places, including Alaska, Canada, and San Francisco.
Congrats to RL Crossland for BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”