Official Review: Fire Over Acadia by Ronald Gaffney

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: Fire Over Acadia by Ronald Gaffney

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fire Over Acadia" by Ronald Gaffney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fire over Acadia is a book penned by Ronald E. Gaffney. The tome takes the reader on a voyage through time to the blazing land of Acadia aka Nova Scotia.

Set against the backdrop of the French and Indian War in America, the story begins in the year 1751. The book revolves around a man named Bryan Hawkins. Hawkins was a member of the crew of the ship called Providence. Providence was sailing on the waters around Newfoundland when it was captured by the privateer, St. Germain, and his band. They were taken to the French stronghold, Louisbourg. There, they were informed that the British had captured a French ship some time back. The crew of Providence would only be spared if the British agreed to return the French ship. Bryan Hawkins was selected to accompany Lieutenant Andre and the two Indians, Copage and Gerome, to negotiate with the British. Thus, started a new chapter in Bryan’s life. Will he be able to succeed in his mission? Will he thrive in this war-torn land? Will love find him? Only perseverance and grit will help him to get the answers to these questions. This is the story of a boy transforming into a man.

My first and foremost observation of this book is that it is incredibly well-researched. Gaffney's experience as a lawyer in Nova Scotia, and his passion for the history of this land is noticeable. One of the best aspects of this book is the objectivity with which it is written. The author has depicted the sides of the British, the French, the Indians, and the Acadians. I have to say that my heart broke for the Acadians. They should not have been treated the way they were. Gaffney has interspersed real events with the fictional story. Moreover, he has given a chronological account of these events. This made the book all the more authentic. I liked this about the novel. However, this may make it a tad boring for some readers.

Now, let us talk about the characters. Bryan Hawkins was a young idealistic British boy in the beginning of the book. Gradually, he hardened into a ranger. Naturally, he had to do things he would not do otherwise in order to survive. However, he did not lose his ideals. Despite the peer pressure, he did not practice scalping. I loved how he did not succumb to his desire for Miss Bristol because of his love for Gisèle.

I think the errors were a major shortcoming of this book. I found more than ten errors. I believe a round of editing and proofreading would make this book perfect.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have reduced one star because of the errors. I believe that people who do not like history should steer clear of this book. I recommend this book to history buffs. People who are interested in the history of America and Canada would love this book.

Fire Over Acadia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kajori50's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting historical fiction. Thanks for the descriptive and well balanced review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Thank you for your review. I love that you point out that the book is incredibly researched. Many historical novels can be swayed by the author bias, but if Gaffney stayed true to REAL history, this book will be a must for me when those errors get fixed.
Spencer Mack
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not familiar with this time period but I'd love to learn more, especially from an unbiased point of view. Few authors accomplish to portray the perspective of all sides involved in historical events and I think that's a major asset of this book. The fact that Bryan evolves along the plot, as we usually change through life and its hardships, is interesting too, because he remains loyal to his principles, which isn't easy.
A very original book and a thorough review, thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With books such as this, research is so important. I'm really glad that the author took his time on that aspect. Still, history isn't a favorite of mine and especially that time period. I'll pass. Hopefully the author will be able to do a bit of editing here, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

A well-researched fictional piece is a good start, and I hope the errors get fixed as you've described as well. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a coming of age, historical fiction to me. Thank you for your valuable input!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Very crisp and clear review, while still being thorough. I don't like reading historical fiction but I love the idea that somebody researched in order to create an authentic and unbiased story!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

.....observation of this book is that it is incredibly well-researched.
The is nothing I like more than when there is logical concepts that are relatable whether the book is about imagination or history or whatever. Good honest review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sushan wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 05:53 Seemingly an interesting historical fiction. Thanks for the descriptive and well balanced review 👍👍
Welcome. :D

Yup, it is interesting.

Thank you for your feedback. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

spencermack wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 14:55 Thank you for your review. I love that you point out that the book is incredibly researched. Many historical novels can be swayed by the author bias, but if Gaffney stayed true to REAL history, this book will be a must for me when those errors get fixed.

I agree that an author's bias often distorts historical facts. However, it is not the case here. I believe you will enjoy this book.

Thank you for stopping by. :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Lunastella wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 07:18 I'm not familiar with this time period but I'd love to learn more, especially from an unbiased point of view. Few authors accomplish to portray the perspective of all sides involved in historical events and I think that's a major asset of this book. The fact that Bryan evolves along the plot, as we usually change through life and its hardships, is interesting too, because he remains loyal to his principles, which isn't easy.
A very original book and a thorough review, thank you!
Welcome. :)

It definitely is original. Also, it is quite informative.

Thank you for your feedback. :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 08:32 With books such as this, research is so important. I'm really glad that the author took his time on that aspect. Still, history isn't a favorite of mine and especially that time period. I'll pass. Hopefully the author will be able to do a bit of editing here, though.
I agree with you. Research is a major aspect in such books.

Thank you for stopping by. :D
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Espie wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 23:15 A well-researched fictional piece is a good start, and I hope the errors get fixed as you've described as well. Thank you for your honest review.

Clearing the errors would definitely enhance the book.

Kajori Sheryl Paul

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 09:05 Sounds like a coming of age, historical fiction to me. Thank you for your valuable input!
Welcome. :)

It is as you said.

Return to “Historical Fiction”