Official Review: Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Official Review: Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles

Post by kaylahk17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love and Sabotage" by Martha Tolles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love and Sabotage occurs during the fall of Germany, but before the fall of Japan at the end of World War II. Marty is a new reporter, fresh out of college, looking to make her stamp on the world. She is engaged to a marine fighter pilot who is stationed in the Pacific. Marty daily awaits news from her fiancé as she looks to impress her editor by investigating a mysterious fire in her town that burns down the local shipyard. She must act carefully both on her investigation as well as with her boss as he becomes much too friendly towards her. Marty must juggle impressing her editor and standing her own in a job where men are preferred and still dominate.

Martha Tolles immerses the reader into United States wartime through the eyes of a young woman. This book shows the struggle an average, yet ambitious women had during the end of World War II. With many of the young men off fighting, women could enter the job market. While they could enter, there was resistance and resentment from the men who were still working. The amount of pressure to do well is felt through the experiences and thoughts Marty had. I could feel the pull of emotions she felt when deciding how to handle her editor’s friendliness. Fear of losing your job from denying advances from a boss is not something we feel today. Being able to see how the first working females felt and what they would have gone through every day is inspiring. Martha Tolles shows how strong women are and the amount they put on the line for both the war effort and for the future of female equality.

The themes in this book make it apparent that this was written by someone who knows and understands what she is writing about. Marty often described picking her clothes based on how society would accept her, and whether they would gain her access to what she needed or not. The rationing of gas and supplies was also present throughout the book. These smaller themes showed the struggle that was felt by the American people during the war and created a much more real experience for the reader. Love and Sabotage created an exciting journey that I was unable to put down. The plot created mystery and thrill while trying to figure out the culprit of the fire. Even with her fiancé off at war, you could feel the romance they had and the attachment she felt to him throughout the book. While reading, I felt myself cheering Marty on. She was a very realistic, likable character that made me want her to have her happily ever after.

The conclusion of the book left me with unanswered questions. Authors can do this to allow the reader to come to their own conclusions and while I easily made my own answers to these questions, my preference is to hear the answers from the author. That would be what I least liked about the book; however, Martha Tolles orchestrated the entire book with great finesse from start to finish. I find this book one I could enjoy reading multiple times.

I would easily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the powerful messages it provides about history, love, and being true to yourself all while solving a mystery. Love and Sabotage was an excellent read that I would recommend to almost anyone because the book had thrill, mystery, history, and romance all wrapped up in one incredible story. This book is also empowering for females as you can easily

Love and Sabotage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Marty is such a relatable character. Her wartime struggles are the reality of countless women all over the world even though the war has long ended. Well done on your review.
Susan80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Susan80 »

I think even if the story took place in the past specifically during the world war II when women were trying to adjust themselves in a manly society and struggling for their rights, it somehow reflects the same struggle that women are going through nowadays but from different angles. They're still trying to give an image accepted by the society as a successful employee or self-employed, an artist, a politician and mainly a good wife and a mother while encountering all life sabotages
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"The themes in this book make it apparent that this was written by someone who knows and understands what she is writing about."

Such an understanding of the time period is rarely seen in historical novels. This author's ability to describe old times does can make this book a good read.

Thanks for great review!
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

SunVixen wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 11:25 "The themes in this book make it apparent that this was written by someone who knows and understands what she is writing about."

Such an understanding of the time period is rarely seen in historical novels. This author's ability to describe old times does can make this book a good read.

Thanks for great review!
I think it made a large difference in this book. The knowledge added details and depth to the story that I believe would be missing unless the author was able to fully understand the time period. Thank you for the reply!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's always good to see an author write what they know and do it well. The situation during WWII was a tough one so stuff like rationing and the resentment towards women in the workplace being included feels natural. It definitely looks like a good read as well.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not into historical fiction, but this one has a mystery and a well-developed setting, so it seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Period novels do not catch my attention so I am going to pass.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Great review. This sounds like a story that many women can relate to as far as the working during those times. I love historical fiction books and can’t wait to read this one.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD, told through the eyes of a woman reporter near the end of WWII, is a historical fiction read with elements of mystery and romance. Relatable and realistic, readers will not only be pulled into each scene through vivid descriptions, but they will also share the emotional ups and downs with each character. Sounds like a must read! Thanks for the amazing review! Great work!! :-)
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

What a well worded review. I am not a fan of this genre however, so I'm going to pass on this one. The cover of the book really draws you in though.
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounds like this book has a lot of genres intermixed, and it isn’t just historical fiction. The main character also seems to be up against a lot of resistance as a young woman trailblazing a career during an era where that didn’t happen much. Thanks for the insight into this one. Your review was wonderfully done!
Everything happens for a reason...
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The inclusion of solving a mystery caught my attention. Yet, other themes are not very appealing to me. Anyway, congratulations on being BOTD
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Love and Sabotage tells the story of a strong woman who is a journalist reporting about the second world war and finds herself in a similar situation of fighting for female equality.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Love and Sabotage by Martha Tolles really like an interesting historical fiction.I love Marty as a character, her zeal and courage is on another level. That alone has given the urge to read the book and learn more about her. Congratulations to the author on the BOTD. Great review.
Books are beautiful.

Return to “Historical Fiction”