Official Review: Beyond the Higher Ground

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Beyond the Higher Ground

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond the Higher Ground" by Thomas A. Brigger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After losing his wife and being hounded by demons from his past, Tucker Mason is looking for a fresh start. Before beginning work as a project manager in the construction of a prison on Bright’s Mountain, Virginia, he goes to look at a house for rent that is located close to the prison site. The house is available because the elderly couple who lived there were recently found dead. The quietness and solitary nature of the house appeal to him. When leaving for lunch from work, he notices his tire is flat, and he is informed someone probably shot the tire. After fixing it and driving down the road, Tucker is rear-ended several times by a large flatbed truck and knocked over the hill. While he was groggy and going in and out of consciousness, a menacing voice said to him, “ ‘You . . . kin you hear me? You don’t come back, y’hear. You don’t never come back here agin . . .’ ”

While recovering from his injuries, he stays with Casey, the superintendent of the job. Then, Tucker rents the house, despite being warned to stay away from there by a waitress.

Soon afterward, a little girl appears in his yard and announces, " 'She said he’s coming back, and you have to go now. Sh-she said I should tell you that.’ ” Then, she runs away. Mysterious things start happening around the house: his window is shot out, loud noises occur in the night, his locked shed door is found open several times, his gasoline can explodes while he is mowing his grass, and a heart is left in a bag by his front door.

In the meantime, Tucker notices drugs are prevalent in the area, seeing evidence of it himself as well as hearing about numerous people who are adversely affected by them.

Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger is listed in the historical fiction genre, but it could just as easily fit into the C/T/M/H category. Utilizing his experience as a builder, the author develops the background of the story. His book is masterfully written, getting the reader’s attention early and holding it until the final surprise at the end. The mystery and suspense are my favorite aspects of the story. Written in the third person narration, the tale follows Tucker through his adversities on Bright’s Mountain. With a well-developed, diverse, and rich cast of characters, the story is fascinating and compelling. The eloquent prose is believable, chilling at times, and kept me spellbound. His excellent descriptions left me with visions of Bright’s Mountain and its inhabitants.

The drug problem is bad in the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, and its impact on the individuals and families who live there plays a major role in the story. I applaud the author’s ability to bring attention to the plight of those unfortunate people affected by drugs and poverty. When the book began, I thought this would be another story that would denigrate people living in the mountains; however, the author ends up being quite sensitive, demonstrating they are just trying to survive and do the best they can.

Some of the sentences were a little long for my taste, but they were grammatically correct, and this was insignificant. However, I did encounter more than ten errors, so I can't give it a perfect score, even though I truly wanted to. These were minor and mostly due to missing commas in compound sentences. It could use another round of editing. This was my least favorite aspect of the book.

As I truly loved the character development, the suspense, and the overall story, Beyond the Higher Ground gets a rating of three out of four stars. One star was taken away because of the errors. Readers who enjoy historical fiction, suspense, and mysteries would appreciate this story. There was no sex in the book; however, infrequent profanities were seen. Therefore, it is unsuitable for young children. With the parent’s permission, it would be appropriate for preteens and teenagers.

Beyond the Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Suspense is an important recipe for any thriller. This book seem to have it in sufficient proportion.
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I love that this book touches on real issues in society. I think it is very important that books have some influential or informative impact on society, thank you for including that in the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

That Reviewer wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 06:25 Suspense is an important recipe for any thriller. This book seem to have it in sufficient proportion.
Yes, it certainly did! I love suspenseful books. Thanks for your comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

leareiler wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 13:51 I love that this book touches on real issues in society. I think it is very important that books have some influential or informative impact on society, thank you for including that in the review!
Because I grew up in Eastern Kentucky, I was glad to see attention being brought to the drug problems in that area of the country. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review! I hope you get a chance to read the book!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I don’t know why, but I thought I had read this review before. Either way, your reviews a pleasure to read! Always full of great information about the book and a synopsis that makes me want to read all the books you review :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 09:55 I don’t know why, but I thought I had read this review before. Either way, your reviews a pleasure to read! Always full of great information about the book and a synopsis that makes me want to read all the books you review :)
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments, my friend! You have made my day. I hope you get a chance to read the book!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It's a great thing (and unusual, unfortunately) that the author was so culturally sensitive. I'm not quite sure about the book, though. Is this a paranormal novel we're talking about, or are 'demon' and 'haunted' just metaphors? Either way, I enjoyed reading your review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kelyn wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 16:10 It's a great thing (and unusual, unfortunately) that the author was so culturally sensitive. I'm not quite sure about the book, though. Is this a paranormal novel we're talking about, or are 'demon' and 'haunted' just metaphors? Either way, I enjoyed reading your review.
The "demons from his past" are a horrible childhood and the loss of his wife at a young age. In the story, there is someone bad who wants him gone. Are there ghosts around as well? Only reading the book will let you know for sure. Thanks, Kelyn, for stopping by and reading my review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I got chills reading about what happened to Tucker once he got hit and then rented the house. It's clear that the author is very good at what he does and a little terrifying the lengths folks will go just to survive.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

The premise has really intrigued me. This sounds like an interesting historical fiction novel with elements of suspense, which I typically enjoy. Thanks for the review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's nice that this book manages to present a sensitive picture of the people in the Appalachians while combining it with a mystery. Thanks for a great review!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Haha, who knows what my own “quiet and solitary nature” has people suspecting about me. What a thriller, full of suspenseful themes and mysteries!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

unamilagra wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 19:50 It's nice that this book manages to present a sensitive picture of the people in the Appalachians while combining it with a mystery. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 20:33 Haha, who knows what my own “quiet and solitary nature” has people suspecting about me. What a thriller, full of suspenseful themes and mysteries!
:lol2: I'm the same way. I loved the book. I hope you get a chance to read it!

Return to “Historical Fiction”