Official Review: Beyond the Higher Ground

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonja Jacobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonja-jacobs.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Beyond the Higher Ground

Post by Sonja Jacobs »

If the book is as good as the review, I definitely want to read it. This is suspense putting you on the edge of your seat. Well done guys!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I love reading mysteries. Even though the initial description of the book was not something I would usually read, your review has intrigued me! I'd like to know what's going on in those mountains.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

What I love the most about the book is that it touches real-life issues sensitively. I might consider reading this thriller that has good character development. Congratulations on BOTD. Thanks for your review.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I love this book. I love stories that start as a mystery and ends up as a logical calculated mischief elaborately executed. The ones Sherlock Holmes would pursue. Lovely.
nwugwueze88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nwugwueze88 »

Wow! I am quite thrilled by the story and by the skills showcased in the review. I am however at a loss as to what was Tucker Mason's destiny in the book. I would really love to read the book to find out more.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I do appreciate a book with great character development and an interesting plot; however, this is not I'm interested in at the moment. I hope the author also corrects those errors. Thank you the succinct review.
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Prince Chime »

Thanks for the review. I really wonder if Tucker Mason cared to find out what resulted in the death of the couples who lived in the house he wanted to rent, as they were mysteriously found dead in their apart? Despite being warned he still went on to rent the house. Hmm! I guess that's the beauty of mystery books.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The premise seems quite intriguing to me. I admire the author's talent at incorporating sensitive issues in an intriguing and suspenseful plotline. Thank you for the detailed review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

The Appalachians sounds like the perfect setting for a novel like this. Nothing like a mountainous and/or wooded setting to give you the creeps in the midst of a thriller involving a community’s drug use crisis. I also have to wonder what happened to the couple that lived in the house before Tucker Mason and how their fate will affect his. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Lovejoypeace
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reading Device: Samsung

Post by Lovejoypeace »

I don't normally read historical fiction. It was after I read the sample, and the review of this book, I felt very interested in wanting to read this book.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Your review is very informative and well written. Thanks for the quote from the narrative. Mysterious and somewhat bewildering tale. I would consider reading the book.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

"Beyond the Higher Ground" also leaves me spellbound, just like the reviewer. I also lose my heart to the way and manner the suspense and mystery are crafted. Thanks for the lovely review!
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

A very captivating review! I got chills just reading it :D I am curious as to why the community and perhaps something darker, don't want him to stay in that house :) It definitely ticks all the boxes for me and I can't wait to pick it up. Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Beyond the Higher Ground, by Thomas A. Brigger
The book narrate a story of an agony clade character who fell prey to drug trafficking racket. The story narrates the struggled journey of a man striving to keep his innocence in unfavorable situations, encounters a world that he never knew existed in the shadow of the emerging prison. The story revolves around the prison construction site, and the narrations in the story dictate how his fate turns in to a nightmare. The unwelcome distractions leading to violence, conspiracy, and his unwanted role in coping the situation seen well narrated. The author had used a well-constructed language craft a piece of classic story. A perfectly flown story telling in such a rare plot is admirable. The author has succeeded keeping reader engaged. The sample itself showed a good imprint to readers to get started reading in in the book.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

This sounds like a horror film. I must say Tucker's courage is on another level. How on hell does someone dare live in this abandoned remote house after the owners died on some unknown reasons. I'll never don't do that. Thanks for sharing this great piece.

Return to “Historical Fiction”