Official Review: Drawing From Memory by Ronnie Berman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Drawing From Memory by Ronnie Berman

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drawing From Memory" by Ronnie Berman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kurt is devastated by his girlfriend’s decision to leave Berlin to study art in New York City. In order to go there with her, he joins Project Remembrance, a volunteer corps of Germans who work by serving Holocaust survivors around the world. The grandson of a Nazi soldier, Kurt travels to New York and is set up to work with Sadie, an Auschwitz survivor. Feisty and independent, Sadie openly expresses her resentment towards young Kurt. Drawing From Memory, by Ronnie Berman, examines relationships stressed and tainted by past atrocities. Does love always win? Can compassion and forgiveness be found even after eighty years of acrimony and heartache?

Eighty years after the Holocaust, historical accounts of mankind’s savagery still provoke feelings of despondency and consternation. Pivotal events such as 9/11 seemed to have resurrected a desire to examine history, and in studying human nature through literature, writers have fortuitous opportunities to influence many people. A central theme in this narrative is responsibility. This is prominently shown in the protagonist’s family unit in Berlin: unspoken words of regret, rationalizing questionable decisions; perceived failures to live up to expectations. As the plot unfolds, readers follow the characters as this timeless theme spans generations and political boundaries.

The best part of this book is the dynamic characterization. Although the story’s plot is enticing, it is the skillful development of the characters that makes them realistic and brings the story to life. This is shown through the characters’ introspect, interaction with others, and internal conflicts. The transformation of the characters enhances the plot; the main characters come with their own unique outlooks, experiences, and values. As they interact, sparks fly, history resurfaces, and social identities are put to the test. The perspective shifts between two of the characters, allowing readers to emotionally connect with both of them. As the plot unfolds, we realize there is no good and no bad, only different. For the expert characterization, I give this story 4 out of 4 stars.

There is nothing about the book I did not like, and I would not change a single thing. The book is professionally edited, with only a few very minor errors that did not interfere with the flow of the narrative. Other than this, Drawing From Memory is a remarkably well-written and thought-provoking narrative that explains the powerful world of human emotions.

I recommend this book for all mature readers, especially those who enjoy historical fiction. This book is for readers looking for a read with strong characters who will pull them into the story and lead them to question what they have learned in history class. It should be noted that this narrative contains a moderate amount of profanity and some adult content, so it is not appropriate for younger readers.

Drawing From Memory
View: on Bookshelves
incendiotorus
Currently Reading: Asian American Sexualities
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-incendiotorus.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by incendiotorus »

Thanks for the great review! This sounds like a super interesting book that I'd want to read sometime. One of my favorite professors has a close friendship with a Holocaust survivor, and the two of them have done various interviews, documentaries, personal narratives, and published articles together. When I took my professor's class a couple years ago, she assigned some of her writings to the syllabus, and the Holocaust-centered stories were so powerful, vivid, and heart-wrenching. Reading the synopsis above, it took me back to my professor's class and the first time I read her writing on this Holocaust survivor's experiences. In other words, I'm very interested in the themes presented in this book and the narrative itself, so I'll have to bookmark this for future reading!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

incendiotorus wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 17:54 Thanks for the great review! This sounds like a super interesting book that I'd want to read sometime. One of my favorite professors has a close friendship with a Holocaust survivor, and the two of them have done various interviews, documentaries, personal narratives, and published articles together. When I took my professor's class a couple years ago, she assigned some of her writings to the syllabus, and the Holocaust-centered stories were so powerful, vivid, and heart-wrenching. Reading the synopsis above, it took me back to my professor's class and the first time I read her writing on this Holocaust survivor's experiences. In other words, I'm very interested in the themes presented in this book and the narrative itself, so I'll have to bookmark this for future reading!
Wow, you will definitely enjoy this book then. The survivors describe it just like it was yesterday. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Character-driven stories are the best, and it is always nice to find plots where characters have to deal with edgy subjects. Not to mention that well researched facts is always a great bonus. I am definitely going to read this one. Thank you for your review!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

damis wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 14:34 Character-driven stories are the best, and it is always nice to find plots where characters have to deal with edgy subjects. Not to mention that well researched facts is always a great bonus. I am definitely going to read this one. Thank you for your review!
So true! I don't think I'm going to let this book pass me by. Hoping to add it to my collection soonest. I think the review is awesome too.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:

Thank you for stopping by!
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

There's always something amazing about a book with a great and solid character development.

That being said, I like the storyline a lot, I like writing that takes you places you haven't been and let's you feel good emotions

Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

I have read a number of novels related to WWII two events and also attrocities commited by NAZI germans during WWII. This facinating novel seems to be with another similar theme even though the setting is long after the war. I really enjoyed your fantastic review!
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
Stalantilaz
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalantilaz.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Stalantilaz »

The great thing about historical fiction is that it deals with very sensitive issues that have happened in the past in an interesting story. Not only is that entertaining, it is educative. We get to understand people that have been affected by such events as the holocaust. I would love to read this book. Great review
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

The book title sounds interesting and it has captivated me already.The information detailed in the review makes me want to read it and it sure seems like a good read. Good review.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html

Post by UzmaKhan »

Was looking for a light read. Looks like I found one. Great review!🌸
Disha Dutta Banik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disha-dutta-banik.html

Post by Disha Dutta Banik »

The review sounds great and the characters of the plot seem to be quite interesting!
Holocaust survivor is something that intrigues my interest a lot. Looking forward to read this soon.
Meenashiva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenashiva.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
2024 Reading Goal: 860
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Meenashiva »

I loved the front cover of the book. The cover itself is giving the plot of the story. Thank for the review you have well given the insight of the book. Looks like this book soon will be In my kindle.🙂🙂
Never stop learning. Read the entire panorama of literature.

Thomas Edison

:lire4: :techie-studyingbrown: :eusa-violin: :eusa-violin:
Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Anindita Roy »

Thank you for your great review. I would definitely read this book. "Drawing from Memory" has all the qualities of a good novel. It is a novel having an enormous appeal for juvenile minds. It has an intriguing well-constructed plot, having no loose ends, and no inconsistencies. The readers would go through the story almost breathlessly and find themselves unable to put aside the book till they have reached the end.
Historical fictions are novels of literary value.The art of characterisation makes the plot poignant, leaving an indelible mark upon the mind of every reader. The novelist has kept all the strands tied together to make the plot full and complete.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

Judging from the book, human beings tend to hold on to their past attrocities. The past experiences shape our future. Your review is so captivating!

Return to “Historical Fiction”