Official Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Post by Rayasaurus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Operation Olive Tree" by Jemil Metti.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti features an atypical school in Israel and shows the Israel-Palestinian conflict from the early 1980s. This historical fiction novel primarily follows two characters, an Israeli teenager named Irith Goldman and a Palestinian teenager named Jamal Shaheen. The two of them attend a school known as both Neve Shalom and Wahat-Al-Salam, and this school exists to promote peaceful coexistence amidst the political turmoil between Israel and Palestine. In their quest to promote peace, Neve Shalom and its teachers support Irith and Jamal as an opera-singing duo. The goal is to show unity through music, but not all is well. Political tension and strife in the community boils around the two of them, ultimately showing that the teenagers are simply pawns in a much larger game. In this action-packed, thrilling historical fiction novel, the question shifts from whether Irith and Jamal can bring unity to their peoples through music to whether they themselves can successfully make it to adulthood.

My favorite part of this novel was definitely the relationships in this story. Jamal and Irith’s relationship was realistic for both their situations and the time period they existed in. Between Irith’s defense of Jamal and Palestinians in general and Jamal’s protective actions of Irith, one could tell that they sincerely cared about each other. I love the way some characters use their relationships to sway other characters into doing what they want, and how each relationship was different from all of the others. Each character was unique and had varied interests, goals, and personality traits. The diversity of thought in the cast was incredible yet realistic.

I think that this book is exceptional, and it seems to have been well edited. There was not anything that I personally disliked about the story itself. The plot is very intricate and complicated, and at times it can be confusing if one did not pay close attention. I enjoyed this aspect of the book, but some readers do not, so choose this book when looking for a very involved read.

I am very pleased to give Operation Olive Tree the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed everything about the story, the wording and phrasing, and the characters.

This book is an excellent choice for anyone who enjoys historical fiction, espionage stories, political stories, or anyone who wants to learn more about some of the issues in the Middle East in a more fun and relaxing way than reading news articles or textbooks. Additionally, there are multiple perspectives in the book, so it seems more balanced than many books on the subject. However, this book is not for people who are sensitive towards themes of racism, child abuse, police brutality, terrorism, homosexuality, or homophobia. There is also violence and death in this novel even though none of it is particularly graphic. There is some realistically-used profanity, but there is nothing erotic in this novel.

Operation Olive Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

This story seems right up my alley. I love when fiction can teach the reader about modern-day issues. Thanks for the great review.
Spencer Mack
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

An action-packed book about friendship, music, hostility between two nations sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
richardwille1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richardwille1.html
Latest Review: Grit & Granite by Katherine Lee Johnson

Post by richardwille1 »

This book sounds like a new take on a centuries-old conflict. I would love to see more unity like the teenagers have between Israel and Palestine in real life. Very positive review!
Claude_1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Claude_1124 »

I like it! finding peace through music to produce unity building up friendship
zhenya_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhenya-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by zhenya_reads »

This sounds like a beautiful read! I love historical fiction and I feel like you can learn so much through books of this kind! Thank you for the review, I am adding this one to my list!
Ajm37
Currently Reading:

Post by Ajm37 »

The frienship of two looking forward for peace through their music.despite of being conflict individual as palistenian and israelites, still they both have the same interest and it is a PEACE.
Michelle ann julian

Post by Michelle ann julian »

There are multiple perspective in this book,the frienship of two looking forward for being peace through their music,this book is interesting and good.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I'd really love to read this book, the plot alone seems interesting enough, and I like character-driven stories. Thanks for the great review!
danigb1708
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danigb1708.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by danigb1708 »

I will skip this book because, as I read in the review there is child abuse, violence...etc. But its nice to see that both teenagers want to show unity through music.
lrbwiner

Post by lrbwiner »

Operation Olive Tree is a good read. The students involved may be fictional, but the school is real. So too the hopes and dreams, as well as the challenges and responses of the characters. For those interested in looking at the conflict from a different perspective, or simply a book dealing teens and their dreams and challenges, I recommend the book.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I've always believed that music brings people together (aside from food :lol: )

I love the theme of this novel. A great story of friendship in the middle of conflict between countries. I can feel that you genuinely enjoyed reading the book. I would love to read it, thus, I'm putting this onto the bookshelf! Thank you so much for an exciting review. I can't wait to see it for myself!
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

It's not my type of read but it sounds interesting and there would be a lot to learn from this book. Great review! :tiphat:
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction so I am going to pass on this one.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Great review, Rayasaurus.
Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti stands a different novel narrating story about two buddies from two different origins. Looks inspiring to read the journey of the passionate students, Irith Goldman, an Israeli, and Jamal Shaheen, a Palestinian. The friendship has no barriers and boundaries. Looks vice prose. A must read, indeed.

Return to “Historical Fiction”