Official Review: The Insurrection of the Common Good - a ...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Insurrection of the Common Good - a ...

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Insurrection of the Common Good - a Novel" by Phil and Kathy Dahl-Bredine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE Insurrection OF THE Common Good A NOVEL is a book written by Phil and Kathy Dahl-Bredine. It focuses on global climate change and its root causes. The book is fictional but inspired by real-life events and the struggles of the Mexican people. It is a story about the unsung heroes who have sacrificed their lives to stop the exploitation of our planet and protect the indigenous people.
Susana is a young woman from New York who is trying to procure a land deal in Mexico for a wind energy generation project. She believes in clean energy and is negotiating with the Mexican indigenous people to buy their land for the project, which is supposed to provide many jobs to the locals. When her project gets stalled because the farmers refuse to sell the farms, Susana decides to travel to Mexico and sort the issue herself. She is positive that she can convince the locals about the advantages and benefits of the wind energy project. Will Susana be able to win the confidence of the indigenous people and get the project started? Why are they resisting the project? The book takes us through Susana's journey to Mexico and her experiences.
What I liked most about this book is the captivating way in which the authors explain the real reasons for climate change and the contribution of the developed countries to global warming. The authors have done a commendable job describing the prejudiced mindset of the people who believe in everything said by the powerful countries. The authors have done detailed research about the different types of agricultural techniques and their role in maintaining the climatic equilibrium. The book beautifully describes the culture and lifestyle of the indigenous farmers. It throws light on the exploitation of the farmers by politicians and industrialists. The adorable love story between Susana and Armando is the cherry on the cake.
There is nothing that I dislike about this book. This book is an eye-opener and reveals how we can stop the drastic climate change by incorporating the indigenous traditions. The authors have successfully captured the challenges faced by environmentalists, journalists, and activists who are trying to voice their concerns and save the planet. Science may not always be a blessing; this fact is well-explained in the book. There are quite a few Spanish words in the book that make it more authentic.
The book is well-written, with only a few grammatical errors. I give it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to adults and young adults. Those interested in agriculture and environmental issues may find this book particularly fascinating. This book is inspiring and will change the way we look at our Earth and help us become more responsible citizens of the planet.

The Insurrection of the Common Good - a Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Susana sounds like a very strong character. I'd love to read this one. Thanks for the honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Climate change is a global issue, I like the author's way of making us reflect on it. Thank you for the review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Ronaann+Leonardo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronaann+Leonardo »

I liked how strong and determined Susana. It can relate to every woman now adays on every aspect and how strong they were.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

Books focusing on climate change are extremely important right now. Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I think this sounds like an interesting story with an important message. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the wonderful review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

This book is an eye-opener and reveals how we can stop the drastic climate change by incorporating the indigenous traditions
An interesting theme. Good job

Return to “Historical Fiction”