Official Review: The Crocodile Makes No Sound

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Re: Official Review: The Crocodile Makes No Sound

Post by evraealtana »

Christieee wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 13:51 I love that this book draws from real historical figures. Also, the setting being in Egypt adds to the mystery and historic feeling, which I love.

Thank you for the detailed review.
I did, too. It was interesting as a work of fiction, but when I started doing my own research and saw how much of it was actually factual, I was both intrigued and impressed. The author truly knows what she's talking about, and that expertise flows naturally into her work. Thank you for stopping by! :)
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Chinelookeke wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 14:49 This lovely book talks a lot about the Egyptian history and it reminds me of some Egyptian movies I've watched. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome; thank you for reading :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 00:02 An archaeologist turned fiction author... how intriguing! This series appeals to me because the mysteries of ancient Egypt have fascinated me since childhood. :royalty-pharaoh:

You made a valid point about the character names being very similar. So, I'll have to look out for that.

Thanks for an excellent review! 8)
You're welcome! Thank you for your kind words. The author's background interested me, too; I would love to sit down with her and hear the story of her life, how she made the leap to this career from that one. I really did appreciate how much she clearly knew about the subject, since it added so much depth and realism. Hani would have made for an interesting story, but Hani's world coming to life the way it did made the book really stand out to me. I would highly recommend it!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 07:53 Not many mystery stories are set in ancient Egypt - this must have been an interesting read, especially if the author managed remain historically accurate for the most part. Thank you for an incredibly well written review! Keep up the good work!
It really was. It was a unique read, for sure, and well worth the time and energy spent on it. Thank you for your kindness, and for taking the time to offer your thoughts :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

LinaJan wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 13:25 Just the kind of mystery-history that is very much my cup of tea! :) I love the metaphorical title too! It is quite a contract to commit to a saga but this one sounds like it is one I am willing to :) I somewhat agree with you about the names, I find it difficult to memorize them when I cannot pronounce them, so, when the names are similar, it can be hard to follow sometimes. On the other hand, it may add authenticity :)

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review :) Onto my shelf this goes :)
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This book, and I would assume its fellows, stands alone well, so you could certainly take them one-at-a-time if it's easier for you. I highly recommend it, and I personally thought it was well worth the investment ;) Thank you for stopping by!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

HusainNecklace52 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 02:29 I love books with a resemblance to true historical events and facts! Your review has made me very excited to try the book for myself! Thank you for sharing :D
You're welcome! I do hope you get a chance to check it out :)
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The concept of the book is so new to me. I have to add this to my bookshelf. Thanks for the amazing review.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

This sounds like an intriguing read, I will definitely check out this series! Thank you for your thorough review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”