Official Review: But the Thorns Had Roses by Lynn Jones

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Official Review: But the Thorns Had Roses by Lynn Jones

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But the Thorns Had Roses" by Lynn Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories that feature World War II have the propensity to be heartwrenching, dramatic, and occasionally gory. Such a traumatic part of the world's history certainly deserves a special spotlight, as do the troops who sacrificed their lives on both sides. But the Thorns Had Roses by Lynn Jones is a different kind of war story.

Glenda Erickson grows up in Minnesota, and she spends her childhood with only her younger brother, Herb, as a companion. As the children of an abusive, alcoholic father and an emotionally absent mother, Glenda and Herb must essentially raise themselves. Adulthood comes quickly, and Glenda grows up to be strong and independent. She falls in love with a kind and supportive man, and they decide to move to his hometown of Popcorn, Indiana. However, Glenda's happily ever after comes to a grinding halt when both her new husband and her beloved brother are sent away to fight in the war. How will she adjust to life as a stranger in a new town? Will her husband and brother survive the war and come home to her?

I was extremely pleased to find that this novel is truly a relaxing, enjoyable, feel-good book. Rather than focusing on the harsh realities of the war, it looks more deeply at smalltown life and the everyday occurrences that would have been common in 1940s America. While the war does leak into the story a bit, it does not overshadow Glenda's journey of self-discovery in Popcorn at all.

The author put quite a bit of work into character personalities and histories, so the town that Glenda enters with her husband feels very established and complete. This book cannot be called fast-paced by any means, but the reader can become invested in the story very easily. I was especially drawn to the many intricacies of Glenda's character. As an emotionally battered child, she has trouble placing her trust in others, and watching her evolve throughout the story is gratifying.

My only critique for this story is that it does not appear to be professionally edited. The errors aren't terribly prevalent, but they should have been easy to catch while proofreading. Due to the number of mistakes, I give this novel a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There is a small amount of profanity, but there are no sexual undertones at all. Lovers of wartime fiction may or may not enjoy this book; it depends on how dedicated they are to reading about the actual events of World War II. However, anyone looking for a relaxing, low-stress novel that contains a smattering of romance might find But the Thorns Had Roses to be right up their alley.

But the Thorns Had Roses
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

It's really nice to see that But the Thorns Had Roses portrays the "other side" of the war - the lives of those not fighting on the front lines. Thank you for your beautifully written review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I like the uniqueness of this war story. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I like this unique WW2 story, especially the name of the town, Popcorn 😅. I love popcorn, and I bet I will love this story.
Live and let live, baby.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Now when she could have had a happily ever after her husband and brother are both sent to war! How sad! I wish the review had spoilers just this one time. Thanks for this review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This book really sounds like an interesting - and far from common - perspective. Onto my shelf :)

Thank you for such a well-rounded and inviting review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I am more of a fast paced and action based reader. Though this sounds like a wonderful story, I feel it would be too slow for me.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. This story revolving around world war 2 sounds interesting.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I like to think I see the reference in the title. This sounds quite interesting, and you wrote an amazing review.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The author put quite a bit of work into character personalities and histories
Good to know. Nice review.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Love a good old war story, thanks for the review.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I do not like to read war stories if they are full of gothic realities, I can't bear listening to such news as well. I am delighted to read your review of the book. The book seems to have a hint of reality along with the story of a civilian.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 20:21 I like to think I see the reference in the title. This sounds quite interesting, and you wrote an amazing review.
Yes, the title is really apt and sums up the story nicely. I am glad to know that this is an uplifting story.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White

Return to “Historical Fiction”