Official Review: Operation Grab Bag by Will Ponner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Official Review: Operation Grab Bag by Will Ponner

Post by Imperio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Operation Grab Bag" by Will Ponner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Operation Grab Bag by Will Ponner is an action novel set during World War II. Frank Sweeney, an air force pilot, is chosen to become a spy for the American forces and sent right into the heart of Germany. With the mission of infiltrating a Nazi top-secret project, Frank is given strict instructions to either kill or smuggle the lead Irish scientist on the project out of Germany. Frank is a charismatic, determined soldier for the United States, but finds himself troubled by his own personal demons while on his mission. His mind is even further distracted by the beautiful daughter of the Irish scientist. One thing is clear to Frank though: derailing this mission is of the utmost importance to his country. Failure would result in the creation of a technology that would make the Nazis unstoppable.

This book is certainly action-packed from the very first page to the very last. The rich history of World War II furthermore added an element of importance and drama to the mission at hand. With such an existential threat looming over Frank’s head, every step in his journey is rigged with suspense.

In addition to this, the storyline as a whole was very well-crafted. Elements of deception and treachery lead the reader to an ending that is not expected. In the end, I was gleefully made aware of betrayals and alliances that I did not see coming.

My favorite element of the book, though, must have been the incredible characters. It had been quite a while since I had read a book with such a strong female character. In particular, the willpower, intelligence, and overall presence of Frank’s love interest, Leigh, is refreshing. With such a spirited female lead, the romance that blossomed between the two became all the more endearing. In addition to this, the character development within this book was well-written. The inner turmoil within Frank adds some depth to the drama of this book and his personal growth is touching to read about.

Ultimately, there was nothing I disliked about Operation Grab Bag. This is a very well-edited, riveting book that left me completely incapable of putting down this book. With this said, I rate Operation Grab Bag 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in action and suspense novels. I would also recommend this book to anyone who finds themselves fascinated by World War II; the historical research invested in this book will certainly transport readers to that time period.

Operation Grab Bag
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

His mind is even further distracted by the beautiful daughter of the Irish scientist
A complicated plot indeed. Thanks for an insightful review.
DakotesMahGotes
Currently Reading: Tolkien: A Miscellany
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotesmahgotes.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by DakotesMahGotes »

Well written review. You definitely got me interested in this book.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading action-packed novels. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

Thank you for this well-written review! I shall be adding 'Operation Grab Bag' to my reading list.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Sounds like a fantastic and exciting read. What a great review as well!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Yay! This one is right up my alley. I'm a sucker for action with a bit of history. Great review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

This sounds like the perfect book! Who can say no to a well written action book. Can't wait to finally read this book as it has been on my must read list for a while. Thanks for the review.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Frank being left in a confused situation about serving his country and seeking his own happiness makes this book quite interesting. Great review
Faresnassour
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faresnassour »

This sounds like the perfect book! Who can say no to a well written action book. Can't wait to finally read this book as it has been on my must read list for a while.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

I thoroughly enjoyed the book from a historical perspective. It made me realize that war was fought in many locations and sometimes with just a handful of people. When I read this, it reminded me of the role some people played during our history and the impact one person can have in very deadly situations.
:tiphat: Baha :tiphat:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Lots of action, great characterization, and a surprise ending. Sounds like my kind of book. Great review!
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

Sounds like a book that's right up my alley. Thanks for the awesome review!
Minerva Pregheira
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minerva-pregheira.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Minerva Pregheira »

The book sounds thrilling and the setting during world war two is a brilliant place to be taken as a reader. the suspensefull nature of romance with the enemy is an added touch that is so exciting and is an age old tale that always enthralls, it sounds like such a good book!
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

Character develpment is one of the most important aspects of a well written book for me, its nice to know that this books has it. I'm interested in knowing how historically accurate this book stay, besides the obvious fictional elements of course.

Return to “Historical Fiction”