Official Review: Hypersomnolence by Stanley Michelsen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Re: Official Review: Hypersomnolence by Stanley Michelsen

Post by kiki2881 »

I agree. Those lines are derogatory to Islam. There's a debate whether authors should care about political correctness. I personally believe when some lines or contexts in a story are derogatory towards a marginalized group, the author should write a disclaimer stating his intentions that they don't tolerate any forms of insults or attacks towards the partular group.
Valeria_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Valeria_7 »

Thank you for your review! I think you did a really great job and I can understand that you enjoyed reading the book, yet you were able to remain neutral and critically point out the shortcomings of "Hypersomnolence". I must admit that the title attracted me the most and I could sense there is something to do with the subconscious in the book. After reading your review, I was a little put down by the plot of the book and the author's attitude towards other people's religious beliefs. But this is not your fault; if anything, your review helped get a balanced view on the book before I read it.
shaikh41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shaikh41 »

An interesting story line coupled with the protagonist’s dreams and their relation to actual events and deaths makes for an exciting read for fans of this genre. I can see how the narrative for the conscious and subconscious states of the protagonist could be a bit confusing for some readers. Thanks for the good review of this novel.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Thanks for the review! Based on what I read here and the sample, I do not think that this would be the book for me. The comment about a particular religion was very disturbing to me, and I do not practice this religion. The mentions of evolution as well are beliefs that I do not share either, further solidifying my decision to skip the book.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Charlotte Ann 1

Post by Charlotte Ann 1 »

This book sounds interesting as the fights between countries over oil and minerals truly is a deadly one. Your review is detailed and offers a window to peek into the book. Thanks.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

This is an interesting review, that got me intrigued in reading this book. Well done :tiphat:
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This book has a catchy title that'll make every reader stop by. It is also excellently written. Congratulations on the book of the day.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Despite the uniqueness of the tale that takes into consideration the subconscious mind of the protagonist, the lack of adequate suspense bugs me. The disrespectful tone towards a specific religion doesn't sit well with me, either. Thanks for the candid review!
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

The title and book cover are captivating, they aroused my curiosity. I am a fan of action thrillers and would like to read this. Thanks for the review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Lovely to read that the author breaks down any complex terms making it easier for anyone to follow through the material. Thank you for a lovely review.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Thanks for your detailed review. It gives helpful insight to readers interested in reading the book. The book seems interesting and we have been forewarned about what we might find offensive in the novel.
Prasad kalse

Post by Prasad kalse »

:o I like your review as it contains some details about the story and the writing style. You communicate what you think and feel about this book very well. Thank you for the warning of sensitive content related to certain belief.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Well, how then do you present thoughts of a character that may upset your readers? Because the reality is some of us do harbor thougjts that are discriminatory, disrepectful, and hurtful that if put into words heads may turn. I liked the book and I thus commend the author's effort.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Although this book does not particularly interest me, I appreciate the action-packed and well-written story. The added humor makes it that much better. The cutthroat world of the oil industry and the power-hungry people behind it can make for an interesting read, along with figuring out how to prevent dangerous attacks. Congrats on the BOTD selection!
Bonni04

Post by Bonni04 »

Wonderful review so insightful displaying the protagonist's relation to actual events,dreams and deaths thus making the book more interesting for readers not withstanding the fact that the use of suspense to make the novel outstanding.thanks for this review

Return to “Historical Fiction”