Official Review: JINNIK: The Asset by Gideon D. Asche

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Official Review: JINNIK: The Asset by Gideon D. Asche

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "JINNIK: The Asset" by Gideon D. Asche.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When 1984 came, like millions of others, I took the time to reread Orwell’s narrative of a world under Big Brother, only I did it living in the closest thing on earth to Orwell’s dystopia.”

Gideon D. Asche describes his novel, Jinnik: The Asset: A Cold War Memory, as historical fiction. However, this book qualifies as a memoir chronicling his experiences during the Cold War. As a part of an intelligence service, his job was to provide logistic support to the countries behind the Iron Curtain. Their cargo consisted of money, books, paper, printing ink, and many other seemingly trivial yet necessary goods. They used to transport these by stashing them inside secret compartments built into their vehicles. Crossing the heavily guarded borders and delivering the items to their contacts were no piece of cake. Even the slightest inkling of their missions would result in unimaginable torture and death in the hands of Russian forces. Over the years, Asche had lost many of his teammates, yet he lived to tell the tale.

With a team of operators gambling their lives all the time, there was no shortage of thrilling moments. I kept reading with bated breath, feeling relieved with each successful delivery while dreading a botched operation at any moment. Asche described a few close calls that were enough to unsettle the readers. The novel included authentic facts of world politics in the aftermath of World War II, with an overview of the power games between different countries. Asche provided elaborate details of their missions as well as described the ingenious methods they devised for carrying secret cargo. The accompanying footnotes not only explained the acronyms used but also included additional tidbits, adding color to the main narrative.

Despite the critical nature of Asche’s job, he often got involved in unexpected circumstances and made a complete fool of himself. His book described these events with complete honesty. Hilarious instances, such as accidentally defiling a prostitute’s room, provided a sharp contrast to the otherwise somber tone. Even the title attested to his frivolous character. “Jinnik,” which translates to “jackass,” was a name the Romanies gave him.

The emotional nature of the book appealed to me the most. Asche came across many intriguing characters who changed the course of his life. His profound gratitude and respect for them were evident in this memoir. After surviving the frightful situations together, his teammates became his family. This book was, in a way, a homage to his close friends and confidantes. At the end of the book, Asche incorporated photographs of his team and their operations. These acted as a reminder that the stories were all too real. A group of people had worked tirelessly for the wellbeing of others, often at the cost of their lives.

I found absolutely nothing to dislike in Jinnik: The Asset: A Cold War Memory. Accordingly, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few technical issues, indicating professional editing. This novel is a perfect choice for those interested in world history, especially during the aftermath of World War II. Besides, it will appeal to readers who enjoy historical non-fiction and espionage thrillers. There are quite a few violent scenes and references thereof, making this memoir suitable for only a mature audience.

JINNIK: The Asset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

I love the fact that there was no shortage of thrilling moments. Sounds like a very interesting read. Great review.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Nice review. I am not a fan of historical or war novels but I love books that details a person's life experience and this sounds like one of those. I also love books that give me chills and thrills especially when it seems like the main character is in danger just as Asche was. Once again, this was a lovely review and I wouldn't mind giving the book a try.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Thanks for the review but I will not be adding this book to my bookshelf anytime soon. I find wars to be unappealing.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Having a few laughs in war books make them easier for me to read. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Asche has some interesting story to share from his past years. He even went as far as inserting a picture to really prove the stories aren't made-up. What an expressive author. Thanks for your detailed review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"This novel is a perfect choice for those interested in world history, especially during the aftermath of World War II. Besides, it will appeal to readers who enjoy historical non-fiction and espionage thrillers" - I am not a war person. But this could be a great read. Thank you for the nice review!
pie1965
Currently Reading: Angels Watching Over Me
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by pie1965 »

Nice work on a great review. I haven't read the whole book but I will read it when you release it . I love history and talk about war.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It's a beautiful thing the author was able to gather such experience during wartime. It has birthed a beautiful message in this piece.

Return to “Historical Fiction”