Official Review: Legend of Swell Branch by JR Collins

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Legend of Swell Branch by JR Collins

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legend of Swell Branch" by JR Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The South was filled with many overwhelming challenges following the American Civil War. They had tragically lost the War of Northern Aggression, as they mockingly referred to it, and this crushing loss was not the sole thing the Southerners suffered. There were those coming from the North to forcefully occupy productive farms and homesteads and make them their homes. Others decided to take advantage of the situation and deprive the travelers of their hard-earned and precious possessions. However, these latter outlaws could also rob from their own folks. They had traversed the red line by seeking to profit from unsuspecting people’s suffering.

The ones who naturally thought they had an opportunity to oppress defenseless travelers and forcefully grab land were grievously mistaken. Whelan Buach was highly trained, attentive, and always prepared. The Cherokee did not call him Lone Eagle purposelessly as he was unmatched in very many skills like knife fighting. He was as friendly as anyone could be to any person who had good intentions, but those who had ill motives had sufficient reasons to fear, even just the mention of his name. Henri and Sky Watcher were his close and loyal companions. This trio represented a formidable team, each possessing unique skills.

The Legend of Swell Branch was authored by JR Collins and published by Dancing Rabbits Publishing in 2020. The book is in the genre of historical fiction and is the first installment in the Longhunter Series. Set in the late 19th century, the years after the American Civil War, the book contains antiquated terms and other living conditions that perfectly reflect the setting. Modern societal law and order were still alien among the people dwelling in the woods and mountains, and hence they resolved disputes using culturally accepted means. Slavery had been banned, but some rogues still stuck to this regressive culture and aimed to profit from the weak.

This is one of the most fascinating and captivating historical fiction books I have ever read. The compelling story was narrated in the first-person point of view. There is nothing that I disliked about it. I genuinely enjoyed the splendid description of the pleasant scents deep in the woods. Further, everything was vividly described such that one could easily conceive mental images while poring over the book. The reader will be mesmerized with the way the Cherokee warriors were trained to use numerous senses like smell and hearing to detect foes. They could tell the difference between the crackling of leaves and twigs due to distinct movements. One of the most commendable things I enjoyed, though, was the deep southern accent used throughout the book. I disliked it at first, but I changed my mind as the story progressed. This distinctive accent could easily give away anyone who was not from the South.

The book was professionally edited, and the language used was comprehensible. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all devoted fans of historical fiction books. There were no obscenities, but it contains some nude scenes, and hence is unsuitable for children.

I look forward to reading the next installment in the series.

Legend of Swell Branch
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

War, history, politics... They never have anything on me. I'll pass this one. Nice review, by the way.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Henri and Sky Watcher are a valuable add to Whelan Buach's team since they are loyal.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Although not a novel I'd usually pick up, you do make a compelling case to give it a go. Well done on a terrific review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”