Official Review: Sunrise at Marston's Lake by Don Natelborg

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Lyons Den
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Mighty Esox by G. Edward Martin

Official Review: Sunrise at Marston's Lake by Don Natelborg

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunrise at Marston's Lake" by Don Natelborg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sunrise at Marston's Lake by Don Natelborg is a historical fiction full of inspiration. Mike and Luke are brothers who were born two years apart on the same day, July 1st. On the day they turned 14 and 16, respectively, the family goes out to dinner and a movie. The following Saturday, Luke gets his driver’s license and he buys a 1947 Fleetmaster. The next Sunday, they go to Marston’s Lake for a weekend of camping, boating, and fishing. After Labor Day, both boys go back to school. In late September, Mike and Luke decide to go back to the lake alone. On their way to the lake, they are run off the road by another car that does not stop. Mike is severely injured and Luke is killed. Mike and his parents have to get through this horrible time while trying to solve the puzzle of who was responsible for the accident. Who and what kind of person would run another car off the road and not stop? How does a family go on after the senseless death of a loved one?

The author is an inspiration to anyone who has survived the death of a loved one. It has to be very difficult to go from being a happy and contented family that vacations and spends quality time together to find themselves incomplete in just a matter of minutes. How do you go on? Can your friends, family, and church take the place of your loved one? Can you find forgiveness in your heart? The days right after the event, and throughout the rest of your life, will be filled with memories. Your memories keep your loved one alive.

As a Christian, I liked how the family relied not only on family and friends but also on God in searching for their answers. Once Luke’s parents found out who the other driver was, they did not want to cause harm to the driver’s family by turning him in. They had faith in God that the driver would do the right thing. Before reading this book, I am not sure I could have done that. The only thing I disliked about the book was that I cried through most of the second half.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes inspirational books or someone who is going through grief. Through scriptures and songs, the author shows how forgiveness and faith can ease your pain. With family and friends, you are never alone. This book can be read by just about anyone because there is no profanity or sexual content. However, atheists probably need to avoid it because there is an abundance of religion with prayers, songs, and readings from the Bible.

The book is very well-written, flows smoothly, and has zero errors. I gladly give this professionally edited book 4 out of 4 stars.

Sunrise at Marston's Lake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This sounds like an intense story! Thank you for the descriptive review.
vacebi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vacebi »

It's clear from your review that "Sunrise at Marston's Lake" by Don Natelborg is a touching and inspirational story that delves into themes of grief, faith, forgiveness, and the enduring power of family bonds. The book's ability to convey the emotional journey of the characters and their reliance on faith and community support makes it a compelling read for those going through similar challenges or seeking inspiration.

The narrative seems to explore the profound impact of a tragic event on a close-knit family, the process of healing, and the choices they make in the face of adversity. The family's decision to rely on their faith and not seek vengeance against the responsible party is a testament to their strength and belief in a higher power.

Return to “Historical Fiction”