Official Review: The Wars Among The Paines

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Wars Among The Paines

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wars Among The Paines" by John M. Millar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wars Among The Paines, written by John M. Millar, revolves around the appalling ramifications of war, especially its devastating consequences on people's lives. Although the author states that there are parts of the story that resemble his life, the novel is a piece of historical fiction. Millar explores the many ways in which wars impacted several generations of the Paine family.

The main character is Treat Paine (Robert Treat Paine II). At the beginning of the book, we learn that he is happily married and has a two-year-old daughter, Joan Mensch Paine, named after his late baby sister Joan, whom he adored. We also learn that he had not shared with his wife a good part of his past life; she believed that his mother was dead. When the protagonist has to attend his mother's funeral, he decides to come clean because he wants his wife to accompany him. Ellie Schneider, Treat's mother, died after five years in a catatonic state. The whole situation triggers a trip down memory lane as Treat candidly shares his past with his wife. On the road to Menschville to his mother's funeral, he dives into the family saga.

What I most liked about this book was its form of narration; I found Millar's storytelling compelling and moving. The author skillfully weaves Treat's narrative, written using the first person, with several documents, including journals and letters, to convey this remarkable story. I enjoyed reading Treat's journal, notably when he narrated how he met his wife, the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. He comes across as an honest and passionate man, and I appreciated it.

I also liked the story's historical and cultural backdrop. The family saga gets narrated against vividly painted contexts of wars and revolutions. I particularly liked the narration of how one of the protagonist's ancestors fought and survived World War I and the Spanish Flu Epidemic. The author provides several facts and figures, and I was surprised to learn that, from July 1917 through June 1919, the American Expedition Force (First Division) in France lost 18,000 men to the Spanish Flu. I also enjoyed the descriptions of D-Day, which happen at the protagonist's father's deathbed. In this heartwarming part, Treat and his estranged father bond as they talk about his days of service as a young soldier fighting WWII.

Lastly, I rate The Wars Among The Paines 4 out of 4 stars. I found no noteworthy negative points in this impressive book. The editing seemed clean and professional, with just a few mishaps. I would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction, especially those who enjoy reading about wars. It is not a fast read, though, so if you don't appreciate detailed narratives, you might not enjoy it as much.

The Wars Among The Paines
View: on Bookshelves
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I like learning about the experience of war and post-war eras through different perspectives, it all helps to build a better understanding of what laypeople lived through as opposed to dry political history.

Thank you for such an informative and inspired review!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The first few pages on Amazon show that this author has a captivating writing style. War is a difficult topic, and the human aspect is an important one. It must be interesting to read how the author describes the impact of wars on the family members.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Historical fiction is not my favourite genre, but it is important to keep remembering the devastation that war brings, in order for the next generations to avoid making the same mistakes.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like historical fiction but war stories leave me melancholic. I think I have to be in the right mood for this. It seems like a colorful family drama filled with bonding and secret reveal. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical fiction, and this seems right up my alley. I wonder what they fought about, to not see your mother for many years and not tell your wife about her. Thanks for your review.
anyadreamer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anyadreamer »

Wow, that's really insightful. Usually, I don't really like historical fiction, but your review does make the book look appealing. I'll surely give it a try sometime. Thanks!
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kulzum »

Having lived through a thirty years civil war, I understand the devastation it brings, and hence has no appetite for it, fiction or otherwise. Good review though.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Luckily, I was born in peacetime, so I don't have to go through the devastation of war. Reading about WWI and the Spanish Flu Epidemic will be a new experience for me. I'm also curious about Treat's past and the reason he didn't tell his family about his mother.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I find it interesting that the author was able to base a historical fiction novel around his real life.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I love historical fiction, but I don't care for long narratives about the history! This sounds like a very compelling book, and if not for the long narratives I would probably read it. I think I will pass on it for that reason! Thanks for another great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
megan25006
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan25006.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by megan25006 »

This historical fiction book is about America and the cost of the wars the country has fought.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I like world war related fiction, but long narratives tend to bore me. But this one seems a good book. Congratulations on being BOTD
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Generally, we think about the immediate consequences of wars, but there are indeed ramifications and aspects that should be kept in mind in the long term. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like an excellent historical fiction book and I'm looking forward to seeing how its stories connect the Paine family throughout the various global conflicts.

Return to “Historical Fiction”