Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Re: Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by Verna Coy »

Although I likely won’t finish the book due to the violence in it, I can appreciate the motivation of this author in creating this book. It’s great that it is so well-edited! Thanks for a detailed review!
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Thanks for your wonderful review! This seems like an interesting historical fiction novel. The plot is quite intense but appealing. I'm definitely going to be reading this.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

This book explores the life of a woman who was determined to survive at all cost , Victoria's determinations is quite inspiring and motivating .Thanks for this review
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

The level of evil people are capable of is truly horrifying. On the other hand, during these times of harsh persecution, others display courage and bravery that most can only dream to poses. I look forward to reading this book and experiencing Victoria's journey during her captivity. Thanks for the free book, and congrats on the BOTD selection!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The resilience of the Polish women is only something I can admire. It is saddening that these things even happened. I do agree however that we should not ignore our past. Learning it helps us realise how far we have come and just how low we can go. Thank you for a lovely review!
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

This is a book that we should all read to take a lesson of what happens when a race gains mastery over another human race. The plight of the women fleeing ISIS persecution resonates so well with what had happened to Polish catholic women decades ago. Thanks for an honest review!
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Anything about the war is heartbreaking, especially a war like the second world war. I like extra military accounts of wartime, and this book fits perfectly in that mold. I'll certainly check it out.
Lovely review.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

This historical fiction seems like an emotional and gripping one. Nice review
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I don't think that I would normally pick this one up, but your review made me want to read it. I think this book sounds so emotional and powerful, also gives hope. I'm sure I would make river with my tears because it seems this book is very profound. Thanks
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read many historical fictions and non fictions centering on WWII. I would definitely like to read this realistic novel highlighting the plights of the captured women. Thank you for your review.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Your well written and insightful review draws my attention to how much of a good historical book Victoria's war is. It is important to learn about the past and a well-written book would make it fun.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 642
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows” (The Tempest, Act 2, Scene 2.) Often, these words from Shakespeare find fulfillment during times of chaos, tragedy, or war. That’s how it played out for Victoria and Etta. Victoria was a Pole, captured by SS soldiers and purchased by a German family to work as a slave in the family bakery. Etta, the daughter of the family, was a German deaf-mute girl. Her nationality did not exempt her from being considered defective and subhuman. The misery of both of their situations drew them together. They developed a close friendship while the war raged around them.

Herr and Frau Tod locked Victoria in the attic after she finished her work and frequently beat her. She ate watery soup and slept on the floor. Her Catholic faith faltered, and the harsh living conditions brought her to the brink of despair. Still, her life was luxurious compared to what the other Polish women experienced in the camps. With Etta’s help, Victoria conspired to defy German law and help these women and their children. How long could they keep their actions secret from Etta’s SS brother?

Victoria’s War by Catherine A. Hamilton presented the situation of captured Polish women during the Second World War. It is a historical fiction novel based on facts. The Germans captured 1.7 million Poles who worked in forced labor camps, became the slaves of German families, or were forced to work as prostitutes. These numbers amazed and saddened me. The women showed bravery and courage while being humiliated and dehumanized because of their nationality. I liked reading about their audacious and daring acts.

This book should be read by all generation X, Y, millennials and white supremacists because the murders and slave treatments of Poles and Jews captured by the Nazis during WWII are a fact. It is gut-wrenching to read about the horrible crimes committed by the Nazis and no one should ever forget. The American Nazi party is growing in the U.S. and I fear the war is coming. Excellent official review.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Sounds very interesting, especially since the author has woven actual historical events into this story. Congrats on BOTD!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I'm not the biggest fan of historical fiction but I occasionally enjoy the stories that are historically accurate and realistic. Victoria's story seems quite inspirational. Thanks for the great review!
Benggirl721
Currently Reading: adrift
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benggirl721.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Benggirl721 »

What a great book to inspire. A story about misery, struggles, courage, and determination. Victoria's character reflects the soft side of being feminine yet has the bravest heart.
Reading is a journey to the world.

Return to “Historical Fiction”