Official Review: On-the-Roof Gang by Matt Zullo

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: On-the-Roof Gang by Matt Zullo

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On-the-Roof Gang" by Matt Zullo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many things are left unsaid about what a country's soldiers go through, especially in war times. They are the ones that swore to protect and defend the country. On-the-Wall Gang is Matt Zullo's way of narrating part of this ordeal.

The book was based on a group of radio operators (150 from the U.S. Navy and 26 from the U.S. Marine Corps) trained and deployed to copy Japanese katakana telegraphic code, intercept, and analyze radio messages from the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN). The sacrifices they made and the challenges with discharging their duties were detailed in Matt Zullo's narrative.

The author clearly and accurately recorded the different names of vessels, the dates (day, month, and year), and the places the events happened. He seemed to have researched before putting together this writing.

The book is unique. It offers more than a historical account; it also offers a taste of fiction. The book's structure and how the storyline progresses make it look so much like a fictional story. However, the clear and well-documented facts and dates depict history. I love how the author fuses the two — using fiction to complement the grey areas of history.

The author was very clear and detailed, both in the description and in the narration. He described the gunshots, sounds of airplanes, fire outbreaks, etc., to the tiniest detail. He narrated the U.S. Navy's ordeal during the war — their pains, joys, sufferings, and so on. He did an impressive job.

The author's use of photographs and maps further proved the authenticity of the information that he provided in the book.

The author is a good writer. He employs different writing styles to make the read worth the while. Although there is no noticeable suspense in the book, the author still finds a way to keep his readers' attention. This is my favorite aspect, as many historical books can be tiring to read.

The book reignited a faded passion I had for military-related books, especially when the author described the processes of running a submarine. Some of the actions in the book brought back memories of some movies I had watched. I particularly enjoyed the deep and clear description of how the sonar controlled the submarine coupled with the quartermaster's reports — they created a nostalgic feeling for me.

The editors of the book should be commended for the amazing work they did. I did not find a single error in the book. I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book. Therefore, I'd rate it four out of four stars. I would recommend it to people who love historical events with a touch of fiction.

On-the-Roof Gang
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like how you brought the essence of the unmentioned acts of soldiers during war. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I've read many stories about soldiers on the battle front, but never one about military radio operators. I'd like to read Matt's story for this reason.
Dickson mwakapuki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dickson mwakapuki »

This one is interesting, I'd love to read about radio operator's in military
Dickson mwakapuki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dickson mwakapuki »

There many books about soldiers in the warfront!!! But the others have been neglected like the radio operator's I'd love to read more

Return to “Historical Fiction”