A (small) unofficial review: A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

A (small) unofficial review: A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

A Secret History of Witches is a historical fiction novel by Louisa Morgan. It follows one family of witches from France and England through several generations up to the Second World War and the effect that the changing times and values of society have on these people. It also delves into the effect that the witches have on society.

It is, in my opinion, a very complex book because, although it is only about one family, it has so many different storylines for each person that the book follows and there is so much detailed character development. I also like the fact that the magic isn't the sort of magic you get in fantasy or fairy books, it is more pagan like and comes from nature herself, and there is something beautiful about that. There is honestly nothing that I do not love about this book.

I rate this book 4/4 and would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, but also those who love a little bit of magic in their books. If I could rate it higher, I would. The author has written two other books about witches, but they are not part of a series, so you don't need to have read those to understand this one!

This is the sort of book that you want to read again and again and again, so I hope that I have inspired someone to give it a go. Happy reading!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “Historical Fiction”