Official Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sarah's Dream" by Eileen Bird.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sarah’s Dream by Eileen Bird tells the historical fiction tale of a young English woman across several years during the early 1900s. Now in her early adult years, Sarah is an only child whose parents have recently passed away. She is getting married to William, despite her friends not having a kind word for him. He’s too proud to move into the home that Sarah inherited from her parents, and he is shamelessly looking forward to his own inheritance, if only to spite his brother. Years later, Sarah learns the hard way that William has been lying and cheating his way through life, and he leaves her homeless with two small children. Sarah must then rely on the kindness of strangers to survive.

Whenever I read a book, I always want to know why the book is given the title that it has. In this case, the title is a little vague, as there are only two moments in the story in which Sarah has a dream. One of those moments indicated only a small bit of foreshadowing. The other dream, which seems to be the more fitting reason behind the title, is at the very end of the book. Unfortunately, because of spoilers, I cannot fully explain why the book was given its title. It’s not a big deal, and it certainly doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of the story, but I think that a different title that more broadly describes the events of the book may have been more fitting.

For some reason, this book reminded me of a condensed, adult version of A Series of Unfortunate Events. Poor Sarah just seems to be stuck in an endless cycle of misfortune. First, she loses her job as a music teacher because she is getting married. Then she has to give away her piano because her husband doesn’t like it and there is no room at their new house. It only gets worse when her husband takes all of their assets, including selling their house without telling her. The poor woman just can’t catch a break. Being an abandoned woman with two children during that time period couldn’t have been easy. However, Sarah takes it all in stride and does the best she can with what she is given without showing much weakness or despair.

Although the story takes place more than a hundred years ago, it is easy to relate to Sarah and her story. The language that the characters use is extremely colloquial, so some of us Americans may have a harder time understanding the dialects as they are written. I actually found it kind of fun to learn some new words and manners of speaking. However, other parts of the story, predominantly those in which the characters go through their daily routines and meals, were a bit slow-paced for my taste.

The writing of this book is nearly flawless, and there is minimal profanity or scenes of a graphic nature. Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, and I would recommend it to adult readers who enjoy historical fiction and are looking for something casual to read. The story can feel a bit slow-paced at times, but I think that many readers may prefer this if they are in the mood for some light reading.

Sarah's Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. I like the fact that this is a historical fiction book. Even though, as you've mentioned, the story was slow paced I think the story is very interesting.
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

Such a sad premise! This is a book I'll love to read. Thanks for a good review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sometimes think twice if your friends don't like your boyfriend. Find out why. Poor Sarah.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

The tittle itself is captivating ,ill want to try this thank you and well done
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Never really tried historical fiction before but would like to try this book. Thank you for the review!
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I completely agree with your view on titling a book. I feel that the title of a novel is just as important as the plot. Great review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Historical fiction are my favourite, I love the theme of this book!
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I find the book relatable to the society. It is insightful. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Poor Sarah,such a sad story, I hope she gets through it at the end, nice review.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Does the man even love her? Talk less of his own children. What a heartless and selfish way to live! Sarah really went through a lot, from the death of her parents till getting abandoned by a self-centered guy, who leaves her alone with two small kids. I can actually relate this with what's happening to the world today. Anyways, nice review!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I think I'm going to enjoy this book thoroughly, given that historical fiction is my go-to genre. Also the thing you mentioned about the book title is actually relatable as in the past, I've too come across such books which certainly didn't stick with their respective titles.
Thanks for an interesting review!
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

I enjoy historical fiction, but poor Sarah makes me feel so depressed. I would rather skip this one. Thanks for a great review.
Edus123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Edus123 »

A good historical fiction.sarah experiences alot of struggles in her lifetime.Its not easy to many people to accept themselves to experience such incindent

Return to “Historical Fiction”