Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I like this story already. I love stories that have a theme of redemption, and this seems like George is heading down the same path. I'd like to know what happens between him and Beta.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

Sounds like an encouraging book for people who need the push to be redeemed. Nice review.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

A historical fiction having inspiring messages about repentance, faith, and total submission to God's sounds like an insightful read. I also like the fact that it has a seamless flow, and therefore, looking forward to reading it. Thank you for this wonderful review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I find the book to be intriguing, but I'm not sure about reading a religious book as of now. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

This story is relatable. It was sad that the death of George's mother couldn't set him straight. But I think it makes more sense that Beta's transformation will be the potential trigger. Sometimes it takes the transformation of someone who you caused mayhem with to really open your eyes and cause you to have a rethink. The dynamics of Beta's and George's relationship before and after Beta's transformation would be a joy to read about. Sounds like a wonderful story.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

So many lessons to be learnt from this book. Your review is detailed and will definitely attract readers who have an interest in this genre. Thank you for your review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Never too late to turn a new leaf. Thank you for this review
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

This is an interesting and educative story because it teaches children the importance of learning to their patents inorder to reduce the amount of mistakes they make in their life.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Show me your friends and is will tell you who you are. I believe is a popular saying that is very well underated. Peer pressure is a real and serious thing . hopefully Beta would be able to change George for the better. Great review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the message of the book. This book shows that even an old personality of George can be right when you turned to God. Same with anyone who wishes to change. I enjoyed your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Stephen Pokoo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

Every reader, I'm sure, benefits from your detailed critique.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting historical fiction about George Müller, a young man who lives a reckless party life until his friend introduces him to a Bible group and he starts his journey towards redemption, love, faith and God. While I suspect that it might not be for everyone, it might be worth a second look. Well done.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

This book follows the story of main character George through a third person narrative. The seamless narration with an easy sense of humor makes an enjoyable read. I like the point made by the author that we must accept the will of God despite the outcome of events. A thorough review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I like book with humor, and I want to find out what happens with George and his party lifestyle. However, as a non-believer the message of God's kingdom is not appealing to me.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Let The Children Come: The Life of George Müller is a novel by Tom Fay that follows the life of George Müller, a teenager who is destined to live a life of rebellion and sin. George's father's plan to send him to military school leads him to pretend to be a good son at home, but his life changes when he meets his best friend Beta, who shares his newfound faith and invites him to join a Bible study group.
The novel follows George's journey of redemption, faith, love, and submission to God's will. The author uses a third-person point of view to tell a compelling story of redemption, faith, love, and submission. The story is filled with heartbreaking events, but the author's writing style is enjoyable, with seamless narration and easy-to-follow progression.
The novel also features a sense of humor, with the characters' conversations showcasing empathy, confusion, and embarrassment. The author's sense of humor is appreciated, as the tragedies in the book make the humor welcome. However, there is a minor issue with the characterization, as the main characters' backstories are not elaborate.
The book's reviving message is the importance of prayer and trusting in God's provision. The author's favorite lesson is that we should accept and be at peace with God's will despite the outcome of events.

Return to “Historical Fiction”