Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This book discuss the foundation of a new and changed life after George become a child of God. Indeed all are called but few will eventually answer the call to be a child of God. Thanks for the review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

A fitting inspirational Christian fiction novel for those interested in a story about finding your way. Love the cover here! Congrats to the author on book of the day! Thank you for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I'm glad to hear that this book is engaging and seems to be professionally edited. It can be so frustrating when you want more backstory on characters, but I'm glad this didn't detract from your overall experience with the book. Great review!
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I personally do not read religious books, but this would be a good book for someone looking for a story of Christian testimony and redemption.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

As a teenager, George Müller and his father were always at loggerheads over his waywardness. It seemed that the only thing George wanted to do with his life was to party, smoke, and drink. And even though he was bitter that he wasn't by his mother's side when she breathed her last, her death didn't change his lifestyle. In fact, it drew him closer to his best friend, Beta, who was his partner in waywardness.

After George found out about his father's plan to send him to military school, he pretended to be a good son at home while still living his unruly lifestyle at college. On one of his visits back home, George's father told him how much he was proud of him and happy he would soon be a legal practitioner like him. However, George's life seemed to be heading in a different direction after seeing his friend, Beta, again. Beta shocked George with his newfound faith and even invited him to join a Bible study group. Will George forsake his old ways to live a new life in Christ? What are the challenges he must face and things he could accomplish if he accepted Jesus? You have to read Let The Children Come: The Life of George Müller by Tom Fay for the answers to these questions and more.

This book follows the life of the main protagonist, George Müller. Through the use of the third-person point of view, the author tells a compelling story of redemption, faith, love, and total submission to the will of God. Even though some of the events in this novel broke my heart, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I think readers who dislike reading about the death of loved ones might find some of the descriptions in this book disturbing. However, I love how the characters accepted death as a transitional phase into God's kingdom.

Many children disappoint by choosing a future that does not match what the parents had planned. Choosing a life of God would have probably shocked George's parents but it definitely would have pleased God. A very good official review.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

George's life seems full of tragedy. And I know for a fact that people with that level of failure can become an inspiration to others with the right motivation and redemption. Congratulations. Thanks for the review.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

This tale shows that redemption is a strong aspect of Christian life. Thanks for your insightful review.
Ezeh Ezinne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ezeh Ezinne »

This book is filled with so many plots. George's character had me excited.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I have to read on to find out what happened to George. The author has penned a compelling story of redemption, faith, love, and total submission to the will of God. It is stories like these that help people see what God is capable of fulfilling in people's lives, regardless of popular opinion. Thank you for a wonderful review.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Ezeh Ezinne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ezeh Ezinne »

This book is filled with lots of plot. I found it very interesting. The character, George is facing challenges that most young people face. I wonder how he turns out.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 479
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thanks for the wonderful review. I find it interesting how it is a fictional story based on a real story. I'm curious to see how the author makes that work. You mentioned that George's friend Beta found faith first. I'm curious to hear the story behind this. I believe I will add this to my list of books to read.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Reading about those that came to faith in Christ is always an interesting book for me; I think that I will have to get this one! Even though it is fictional, I am sure that the life lessons in this book will be beneficial. Congrats to the author on BOTD! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Abook that invites me to draw mental pictures of what the author wanted me to see cannot be more inviting. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

This book has the potential to help someone out there to reflect upon their lives. Although not everyone is religious, I think this book may be a good read.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I also like the idea that death is a transition into God's kingdom. I hope George finds true happiness. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”