Official Review: Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princess

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Re: Official Review: Brandy Ballad of a Pirate Princess

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

Wonderful reveiw, Superb story .
Congratulations on being The Book of the day
ANKITA MINZ
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ANKITA MINZ »

What an amazing review!
After ages, I came across a pirate book that is so action-packed. I can't wait to get my hands on this book and read it.

Thank You for writing such an honest review.
Ankit Minz
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I'm a strong fan of pirate movies, however, I wouldn't liken that to pirate books. I mean it's quite different to read and to see. But since this book has a great sense of imagery, then it may be worth my time after-all. Congratulations on the book of the day.
abudaniel28
Favorite Book: Masters and Bastards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abudaniel28.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by abudaniel28 »

A Pirate book? Where do I sign up? Thanks for a comprehensive review. I might give this book a try.
Akua Linda 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akua-linda-94.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Akua Linda 94 »

The way you have reviewed the book make me want to read it. I think it might be a very interesting book. Historical fiction coupled with action and romance, I'm definitely going to love it. I'm glad after everything Brandy had an uncle she could rely on. And I hope she chooses a good life. Great review.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

This seems interesting. Although I've never read a book about pirates, this book seems to be worth checking out.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

A fictional adventure story about pirates and curses seems fascinating! Thanks for the great review!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 613
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 59%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson is about a girl raised by pirates. Brandy’s mother is the hot-tempered Scarlet Mistress, and her father is Captain Eric Erasmus, better known as “The Plague.” Both of Brandy’s parents have been pirates since before her birth on the Red Witch 15 years ago. First mate, Don Lomoche, kills Captain Erasmus after notifying Admiral Bennets of the Navy Fleet who the Scarlet Mistress is. Her mother’s real name was Katrina Mooney, who had killed her master after being sold into slavery when she was 13-years-old. Her master was King George’s cousin, and she has been on the run from execution ever since. Admiral Bennets prepares to hang her onboard her ship, but before he can, she curses the crew by telling them only her heir can release them from the Red Witch curse, flings herself overboard, and hangs herself. Brandy and her Uncle Skinner disguise themselves to blend in with the prisoners below deck and taken to Jamaica as slaves. Before her death, Brandy’s mother tells her she has two choices: she can either reclaim Red Witch or live life on land. Admiral Bennets gives Don Lomoche ownership of the Red Witch. What life does Bandy choose? Does she rightfully take back the Red Witch?

This is an interesting story with fascinating characters but totally fictional. I like the official review's summary and description of characters. I agree with the overall rating.
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Effie Cherotich »

The story of Brandy being the daughter of pirates is enticing enough to read about. I would love to find out what choice she chooses; saving the Red witch or living on land.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like an intriguing novel filled with pirates! It also sounds very suspenseful! Congrats on the book of the day. Great review.
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

I love historical fictions and becoming a pirate was a dream in my childhood! I loved reading the review and how the story flows between love, betrayal, cruelty and kindness. I would love to read this book definitely. Thanks for the review!!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I generally enjoy books about pirates, so I look forward to checking out this novel.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3047
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I just hope that Brandy makes the right decision as it seems she is facing a huge dilemma. The story sounds enthralling, and I like the vivid descriptions of the ocean travels and islands. Thanks for the informative review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

The title giving the prospect of female pirates really excited me. It also reminded me of the song 'Brandy (You're A Fine Girl).' Seeing as this was written by a white person, though, I'm really hoping that it was written with no disrespect to the Black or POC characters involved and their history of slavery.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I thought this book has quite an eye-catching cover. It’s great that the book carried lessons of love all the way through. It’s not for me, however, due to the gore and profanities. Thanks for an insightful review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”