Official Review: The Man Under The Elm by Gerry Wycherley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: The Man Under The Elm by Gerry Wycherley

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man Under The Elm" by Gerry Wycherley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even though the title, The Man Under the Elm, is in a masculine font, and the cover features a male, the watercolor background gives this romance novel a feminine feel. Gerry Wycherley has created a novel that appeals to all lovers of historical fiction. In addition, the synopsis on the back reveals that the protagonist shares the same last name as the author, which lends credibility to this story.

Set in England in the 1600s during the time that the Royalists and the Parliamentarians were waging a civil war, William Wycherley is battling a personal war. The tale is structured so that readers can watch these parallel battles unfold. For example, King Charles was forced into exile, and William also had to leave England. His journey to France exposes him to a different lifestyle and leads to his epiphany.

A large cast of well-developed characters interacts with the protagonist. William is not a sympathetic character. He represents all that is wrong with the societal expectations of the era. His egotistical nature causes him to make poor choices. Character foils, both servants to William, exhibit positive attributes. Several women in William's life suffer as a result of his thoughtless behavior. There are some female characters with redeeming qualities. Mary, sister to one of William's conquests, is a likable woman. There is no actual resolution for most of these characters, and readers might be left unsatisfied.

I admit that my knowledge of British history was limited when I began this book, but I liked being motivated to research people, events, and unfamiliar terms. Wycherley's descriptive writing style made it easy to visualize the clothing, customs, and culture of both England and France. The Romeo and Juliet aspect of William's love life fits beautifully into this setting.

The title of the book puzzled me. There is one reference where William meets Mace, a displaced person, who is sitting under a tree. This character does play a significant role later in the story, but it is unclear to me if he is the man being referred to on the cover. This issue and the unresolved ending are what I liked the least. I hope the author is working on a sequel.

Knowing that the author is British, I chose to ignore the subjective punctuation rules, but there were many other errors that resulted in a star deduction. My rating is 3 out of 4. The frequent, amorous adventures of the protagonist are told in a non-erotic manner, but I would only recommend this to a mature audience. Readers who like a combination of romance and history will enjoy this well-researched novel with its themes of oppressed women and class inequality.

The Man Under The Elm
View: on Bookshelves
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This historical romance novel sounds interesting, but William doesn't seem very likable. Like you, I also appreciate it when books motivate me to do research. Great review!
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

The book sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to read it if it has no character resolution. Nice review though
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I like romance mixed with a bit of another genre, especially historical fiction, and I certainly want to check out this book.
Thank you for this interesting review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 21:53 This historical romance novel sounds interesting, but William doesn't seem very likable. Like you, I also appreciate it when books motivate me to do research. Great review!
Thank you for commenting.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 22:58 The book sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to read it if it has no character resolution. Nice review though
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Hhannahh wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 02:37 I like romance mixed with a bit of another genre, especially historical fiction, and I certainly want to check out this book.
Thank you for this interesting review.
I appreciate your comment.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

I agree with you that the unresolved characters may be pointing to a sequel. Thanks for doing justice to this review
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

I hope you are right about the sequel. I appreciate your comment.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for an excellent review! I love historical fiction, and the earlier the era the better! This sounds like a book I would be interested in reading. I will have to check it out!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

Romance and history mixed together definitely excites me. I absolutely love these types of books and will be reading this one. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think love and history go together very well, so the book seems intriguing. Your engaging review definitely convinced me to read it! Thank you for the recommendation!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

B Creech wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 10:48 Thanks for an excellent review! I love historical fiction, and the earlier the era the better! This sounds like a book I would be interested in reading. I will have to check it out!
I hope you enjoy it.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Naaya123 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 12:38 Romance and history mixed together definitely excites me. I absolutely love these types of books and will be reading this one. Thank you for the wonderful review!
I appreciate your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 03:46 I think love and history go together very well, so the book seems intriguing. Your engaging review definitely convinced me to read it! Thank you for the recommendation!
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”