Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amora" by Grant Hallstrom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Amora, Grant J. Hallstrom channels true-life events surrounding a woman whose actions influenced Justin Martyr’s petition to the Roman Senate to create a fiction story. This woman is Amora. During that period in Rome, Christians were persecuted for their beliefs. Amora was married to a respectable Roman nobleman, Leo. What started as a blissful marriage, blessed with a successful business and two children, quickly turned sour, as Amora's and Leo's daughter, Natalie, was found murdered after her birthday outing. Who could have been responsible for this? The pain and need for vengeance drove a wedge between them, as Leo became distant, avoided his feelings, and even became violent towards Amora. However, through Justin, Amora was introduced to Christianity, forgiveness, and the belief that her daughter lives on. Can Amora forgive the killer of her beloved daughter?

Grant J. Hallstrom expertly paints brilliant pictures of events that happened in that era, perfectly capturing the way Christians were perceived at that time. He also captures the moment Justin was drawn to Christianity when a group of Christians was executed and prayed for the forgiveness of their executors while showing no fear. It got even more intriguing when Amora became a Christian, as she was a high-born individual, and I wondered how society would treat her. She was abandoned and rejected by her friends, especially when she tried to create a home for abandoned foundlings, including children of slaves, but she showed strength to complete that project in honor of her late daughter and continued to grow in Jesus Christ. Watching her growth through the story was my favorite aspect of the book.

There is quite a lot to learn from this story, as it captures a few thought-provoking themes. I am a Christian, but the thought of having to choose between vengeance and forgiveness for someone that kills and abuses my child is one of the most difficult choices I can think of. It was intriguing to watch Amora struggle with this choice. On the other hand, Leo was hell-bent on getting revenge, and the story adequately shows readers how the road towards vengeance is paved. The story also explores the reasons that bad things happen to good people and the greater purpose of difficult times, which I believe a lot of readers can apply in life today.

With respect to editing, Grant J. Hallstrom did an excellent job in Amora. I did not encounter any errors in the book. There is also a love story between Leo's and Amora's slaves, Antonio and Maria, that is seamlessly introduced in the story and relevant to the central theme of choosing between forgiveness and revenge.

All things considered, Amora is a thought-provoking read, and I am looking forward to giving it another read. Considering that there is nothing I disliked about the book, it deserves a maximum rating of four out of four stars. There is also a twist towards the end revolving around the death of Amora's daughter to look forward to. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction.

Amora
View: on Bookshelves
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Wow. This sounds quite heavy. Thank you for the review. I was curious as to what the book was about, but I don't think I would enjoy it.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I quite enjoy stories involving Rome or other rich cultured places. This novel seems to be one I'd enjoy very much. Lovely review!
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

This novel sounds like a religious revolution in Rome. I am curious to know how Amora will find forgiveness for the murders of their daughters. Though how deeply you revered God but when it comes to our beloved, the choice becomes difficult. Thanks for the excellent review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls: A Handbook for Unapologetic Living
Bookshelf Size: 2418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Amora's choice is a difficult one, whether one's a Christian or not. We are wired (most of us) to protect our young. But this book seems like a fascinating way to learn about early Christianity.
Thank you for your insightful review.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

Any parent who's child is murdered is faced with a choice between forgiveness and revenge. This fiction based on the real life events from a different era has touched on this social crisis which seems to reappear in every age. This book is going to be in my to read list. This is a well written review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I enjoy historical romance and ancient history so not surprisingly this book caught my attention. After reading the excellent review, I decided to take a look at the book. I find the writing rich and descriptive. The preface to the book was a moving account from the Author's own life. Looking forward to finding out how Amora faces tragedy and challenges in her life, learns about God, the effect that has on her and her life, and how it changes Leo and others around her.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am an avid fan of historical fiction, and this one sounds like it would be perfect for me! When one is suffering in pain over any loss, especially when it was the fault of someone else, the battle between revenge and forgiveness is hard-fought! Even more so when that loss is a child. I always have to stop and think of how much God has forgiven me for and, as a Christian, I am to forgive others. Thank you for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Annah Mujo
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Annah Mujo »

This book is somehow Religious , I can imagine the pain of a parent loosing his or her children a pain for life and a choice to make how to continue living life after certain situations change in life!!!
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I am intrigued to know about the twist towards the end. This book would be a great read and to learn about early Christianity. I would definitely want to read about Amora's acceptance of Christianity and her journey. This book is based on a true story, and that is astonishing. I want to know what Justin Martyr's petition to the Roaman Senat was. Thank you for this great review!
Audrey Nzaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Audrey Nzaro »

I like how the book clearly explains how it is hard to forgive especially if its something that is soo dear to your heart.Intriuiging story especially where the parents are to make a decision on the forgiveness part.
It is the same way in todays life,when the ones we love desrly are hurt or when we are hurt,are we able to forgive.
This book is worth reading.
Last edited by Audrey Nzaro on 12 Aug 2021, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

This book shows to a great extent the ordeals one is liable to face in becoming a true Christian. Especially in the face of loss. Amora's acceptance into the Christian face seems like a great twist to this story.
I love that the author used forgiveness as a major theme in this book. I hope both Christians and non Christians learn from this. Great review.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

The book is a historical fiction that explores the Greco-Roman era in Rome and the persecution of Christians at the hands of the leaders at that time. Amora's character enthralled me the most. The review is great.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It is quite an interesting premise of the book. I enjoy reading historical fiction and I will check this book out. I understand your point about forgiveness. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Martins Uche 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Martins Uche 1 »

That was really hard on Amora. She took a very difficult task upon herself but it should be a medium of showing people what it means to be Christians. I would love to relax with some cheese and read this wonderful work. Congrats on your BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”