Official Review: The Princess of Selgovae and the High King

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: The Princess of Selgovae and the High King

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Princess of Selgovae and the High King" by Bryce Gibby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Princess of Selgovae and the High King by Bryce Gibby is Book One of The Annals of the Heroic and is a tale of the Arthurian legend. The Angles and Saxons have ravaged all of Britannia, including the peaceful land of Selgovae, where Princess Vivien is from. It seems that Britain must pay for the crimes of its corrupt leaders, as Myrddin (also known as Merlin) says. But all hope is not lost as long Artorius Dux Bellorum lives. Through the Great Wizard Myrddin’s prophecy, Arthur will rise to be the conqueror of Britain’s enemies. But Arthur is given a condition. He shall not act in injustice or perversion, or else the hand of God will withdraw from him. Can Arthur keep his ways straight and conquer the perversions of men? What is Princess Vivien’s role in all of this?

Many interpretations of the Arthurian legend have been released, both in literature and television. But Bryce Gibby’s account held me raptured and is not quite like any of the other ones I have seen. It was a great decision to begin the story following Princess Vivien, her efforts to prepare for Arthur’s rise, and the horrible effects of the war. After reading about the war from the citizens’ standpoint, we see Arthur as a Briton of low birth, his eventual rise, and his attempt to fulfill his destiny as High King of all of Britannia. This unhurried progression that the author used allowed me to immerse myself in the storyline.

Even though it is ideal for historians and people interested in the Arthurian legend, this book is also perfect for romance lovers. The love story between Princess Vivien and Artorius was perfectly written and was neither too slow nor too fast; it was like poetry. The character development was also commendable. Princess Vivien was my favorite character because she was not weak without Arthur. On her own, she was driven and kind. Other assisting characters showed growth as well. Aside from Vivien and Arthur, I loved Sir René; he was witty, kind, and intelligent. Readers should look out for his love interest, and they will be pleasantly surprised.

I did not dislike anything about this book. It is a perfect piece of historical fiction. The writing style suited the setting. However, at times, I had to read sentences twice to understand them. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I want to find out what is next for Arthur because the ending left me wanting more.

I must warn prospective readers. You will hold your breath while reading the last chapter, and you will constantly think of the events that will happen until you finish reading this book. And, like me, you will anticipate the next book in the series. I rate this book 4 out of 4 because I liked everything about it, and it was flawlessly edited. There is nothing in this book that will offend sensitive readers. The battles are not explicit, and there is no eroticism.

The Princess of Selgovae and the High King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

The cover is what I came here, but the book itself sounds extremely interesting. From the arthurian legend to the poetry like romance, it really just draws me in. I also commend the way you've written your review, it flows very well, and is just beautiful. Thank you.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”