Official Review: Wolf by the Ears by Alan Armstrong

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Wolf by the Ears by Alan Armstrong

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wolf by the Ears" by Alan Armstrong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wolf by the Ears, written by Alan Armstrong, is a fascinating tale of wartime. It revolves around the experience of Major David DeRussy in the Khmer Republic – a pro-US military far-right government of Cambodia during the 1970s. With solid military credentials, DeRussy does two tours in Cambodia during these tumultuous times, and throughout the book, we follow him during the second one.

The book has several positives. For starters, the geopolitical context is fascinating, and Armstrong portrays it very well. The author describes historical events through the eyes of an honorable man who tries to make the best out of a terrible situation. This aspect was my favorite. Armstrong transports readers to Phnom Penh’s dangerous, bicycle-jammed streets, where “even getting a haircut was dicey business.”

I also liked the book's dynamic pace as readers follow DeRussy to battles and military compounds. The likable protagonist frequents the Khmer Republic's high command and the American Embassy, where he interacts with both soldiers and diplomats. Readers follow the mounting pressure as DeRussy witnesses the demise of a regime, and there are engrossing descriptions of turmoil. For instance, the Khmer Rouge begins detonating Soviet-made rockets within the capital's firing range, and in a gripping passage, a colonel leads his men in an attack sitting in a wheelbarrow.

Above all, the book offers a fresh look at the inner workings of war and its devastating impact on people’s lives. I could relate to a growingly frustrated DeRussy as he realizes that he has little control over the outcome of the war. Although he is more than willing to die with his Cambodian brothers, he knows very well that the whole situation is rigged against them. Also, as these terrible war events unfold, the protagonist meets and falls in love with Maggie Hartwell, a beautiful senior analyst who worked for the CIA Chief of Station. I appreciated this secondary plotline as well.

In closing, Wolf by the Ears flows smoothly, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, and there’s nothing I disliked about it. The author’s writing style is elegant, and the book reminded me of classic war novels such as Hemingway’s. It is an enjoyable read that I would strongly recommend to anyone who appreciates war novels; only readers who are not fond of the genre might dislike it. Also, if you’re a sensitive reader, who is easily unsettled by violence and gore, this is not the book for you.

Wolf by the Ears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I really enjoy the war genre, so this sounds like an interesting read! Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”