Official Review: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani M...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Official Review: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani M...

Post by djr6090 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the fourth Lord Hani mystery, The North Wind Descends, N.L. Holmes again thrills us with an archaeologically correct tale of ancient Egypt. The story is loosely based on an actual incident inscribed in some diplomatic correspondence of the 18th Dynasty New Kingdom, known as the Amarna tablets. During this time, Akhenaten ruled from the Nile north to Turkey and east to Persia. His vassal states were disrupted by an outlaw attack on a Babylonian caravan. Babylon retaliated by launching an attack on Urusalim, a city under the protection of Egypt. According to the tablets, Pharaoh dispatched his Master of the King’s Stables (a diplomatic title) to restore order.

As The North Wind Descends opens, Lord Hani is celebrating his new title, pretty sure he will not be expected to know anything about the King’s stables. Although he is supposedly being honored for his honest and incorruptible service, Lord Hani dreads the weight of this royal commission. It will be needed to investigate a particularly brutal murder. There must be no errors, since the victim is a highborn emissary of the Babylonian court, en route to an important meeting. As Hani and his assistant Maya travel north by boat, they find that Egyptian soldiers have been spotted riding with the outlaw hoards. These organized raiders have no particular national allegiance. Have they been paid to foment rebellion? Do the court-appointed territorial commissioners harbor political motives to incite animosity? Or could the murder have to do with the Queen’s birth of a male heir? Hani and Maya must exercise the utmost discretion. They both have families to shield from disfavor as they unravel the mystery and avert the threat of war.

I liked the book’s vivid illumination of the ancient Egyptian world. The author compares the privilege of the gentry with the poverty of the servant and slave classes. Neither stratum is safe from tyrannical rule. She skillfully uses word-pictures to make us feel the fertile waters of the Nile “swirling like malachite.” We witness villages of dun-colored cubes with dark willow fringes slide by in the blinding white-orange light of Ra. We can feel the tranquility of drifting with the current. There are no sounds but the swish of water against the papyrus barge and the rustle of breezes in the sails. At home, Hani fondly greets his wife, invalid daughter, father, adult children, and grandchildren. He laughs at his pet heron, Quanyt, who fights with Hani’s wife over fish from the family’s farm-pond. Hani’s fondness for waterfowl is evident in his terms of endearment for his daughters. They are his “little duckling” and “my swan.” He expresses his longing to see the flamingos of the Mediterranean marshes.

I found very little to criticize in The North Wind Descends. My least favorite part is where Hani bribes witnesses to overcome their fear of their masters and provide information. This was not disguised as an act of charity and appears to be a flaw in Hani’s incorruptibility. Although personalities are generally true to previous accounts, Hani has become more judgmental of his children. This crack in his fatherly devotion is a departure from previous characterizations.

Overall, this book was an engaging and enjoyable read. It was believable; the plot was surprising and the settings delightful. The map and index at the front of the book are helpful, as ancient place names and modern nationalities are seldom the same. The reader need not have read all of the other Lord Hani books to enjoy this plot. As with the earlier series, it is carefully conceived and obviously well edited. Circumstances are clear without tedious repeats of previous stories. I give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up and four out of four stars.

The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
View: on Bookshelves
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Very insightful review. Thanks.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I am a fan of ancient Egypt literature, whether fictional or non-fictional. So I am definitely adding this to my bookshelves. But, not before adding the other books in the series. I hope it can be read as a standalone book.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

It's not quite what I'm usually reading, but I’ll give it a shot because I actually like the story line.
Thanks for your great review. 
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

Wow already am salivating for this informative book, thanks for the recommendation.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I usually really like stories about Egypt. The fact that it is loosely based on real events makes it even more interesting.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Wamakima wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 14:50 I am a fan of ancient Egypt literature, whether fictional or non-fictional. So I am definitely adding this to my bookshelves. But, not before adding the other books in the series. I hope it can be read as a standalone book.
I started with Book 1, missed Book 3 and was very comfortable with Book 4. Usually I skip series reading, but this author creates a diverting mental environment. Hope you enjoy.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the author described the entire society of Ancient Egypt. It is a rare approach.

Return to “Historical Fiction”