Official Review: From the garden to the cross

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: From the garden to the cross

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From the garden to the cross" by Charles E.Young Sr ( pastor of new missionary Baptist church in Detroit ( PEACE AND GOODWILL).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the Garden to the Cross by Charles E. Young, Sr. is "more of a workbook than a reading book," per the author. He begins with three lessons starting with the downfall of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden and how sin spiraled out of control in "Where it all began," followed by "Grace Found in an Unexpected Place," and "Reviewing the Cross and Reevaluating Christianity." These are followed by what the author defines as five deceptions the church has taught Christians. They are "Denominationalism," "The Ornamental Cross," "Tithing," "Speaking in Tongues," and "Manmade Holidays." From "Where it all began" to the "Final Words From the Author," this book is full of information about issues believers and non-believers alike may question. To see what the author and the Bible have to say about these topics, you will need to read the book.

The reader must actively participate in this book to understand the topics better. The author includes questions and Scripture at the end of each chapter. He also left space for the reader to add their notes. At only 29 pages, this sounds like a short read; however, if one reads the Scripture included in the book and takes notes as suggested, it takes a while to finish—but it is time well spent.

My favorite part of the book was the thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter. I had to stop and ponder each one and then look up the Scripture the author provided to get the answer. The questions prompted me to search until I was satisfied I had the correct understanding of what Young and the Bible were telling me. I didn't agree with everything the author stated, but I respect his opinion and appreciate the time he spent researching the Scriptures to make his point.

There wasn't anything I disliked about this book. The language is easy-to-understand, and it appears professionally edited, as I only found three errors. It is a helpful tool to assist the reader in Bible study and help preachers and teachers or anyone who wants an informative guide for their personal use. For the reasons just mentioned, I am rating From the Garden to the Cross 4 out of 4 stars.

Christians of all faiths will enjoy this book. Anyone that reads this book will find it enlightening and educational. It would be an excellent starting guide for anyone with questions about the Bible.

From the garden to the cross
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"My favorite part of the book was the thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter. I had to stop and ponder each one and then look up the Scripture the author provided to get the answer."
I love this kind of interactive reading that forces you to reflect. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The theme is somewhat engaging. It's a major blow since non-christians wouldn't find the book pleasing. Tho I'd definitely enjoy it
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

SamSim wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 13:19
"My favorite part of the book was the thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter. I had to stop and ponder each one and then look up the Scripture the author provided to get the answer."
I love this kind of interactive reading that forces you to reflect. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Eutoc wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 23:06 The theme is somewhat engaging. It's a major blow since non-christians wouldn't find the book pleasing. Tho I'd definitely enjoy it
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think the deceptions sound interesting, especially since a couple of them are considered standard teaching in most churches. I'm curious what the author has to say about them.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

:wink:
teacherjh wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 14:44 I think the deceptions sound interesting, especially since a couple of them are considered standard teaching in most churches. I'm curious what the author has to say about them.
It is an interesting book in that it makes the reader actually look up the scriptures. It's very interactive! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Historical Fiction”