Official Review: Chateau Laux by David Loux

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Chateau Laux by David Loux

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chateau Laux" by David Loux.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chateau Laux by David Loux is a brilliant portrayal of ambition, tragedy, and reconciliation. This engaging historical drama masterpiece was inspired by real events. The story begins when Lawrence Kraymer, an ambitious entrepreneur, goes on a hunting expedition along the Delaware River. An impending storm causes him to seek safety. He stumbles upon a charming family living on the edge of the wilderness.

Pierre Laux is a French aristocrat who kindly offers Lawrence shelter and food. Unpredictably, Lawrence becomes smitten with Pierre’s eldest daughter, Catharine. Lawrence is young, rich, and ready to prove himself worthy of the Frenchman’s daughter, so he decides to build her a majestic château. This undertaking unknowingly ignites a series of disastrous events for all involved.

The best thing about this book was that David Loux included important historical and cultural details which made the novel interesting and educational. Since it was set during the colonization of America, I appreciated that the author showed the displacement of the Native Americans throughout the book and the challenges they endured. The way that society viewed women at that time was also seen throughout the narrative. Running a business, amassing wealth, and seeking justice in those times were vital historical details that also weren’t left out of this novel. Through Pierre’s memories, I even learned about his intriguing past in France and the mysterious Cathar religion that thrived in the Languedoc region.

I liked the author’s style of writing because it made the novel more complex and unusual. David Loux provided remarkable insights into the lives of several characters. Instead of one major plot driven by a couple of main characters and a few backstories, the novel was formed from several characters’ experiences. Their joys, sorrows, and conflicts felt like integral parts of the novel. For example, Pierre’s sons’ coming-of-age narratives were equally as important as the other characters. Besides the interesting style of writing, the book must have been professionally edited because I only found a few minor errors.

The plot twists were unpredictable and shocking. A particular aggressive event actually happened to a relative of the author and it was this event that inspired the production of this book. I struggled to hold back emotions of intense distress and anger when I read about this incident. Chateau Laux is a book that will certainly evoke strong emotions in its readers. I will not recommend it to sensitive readers because it contains violence. Additionally, elements of spirituality and religion are scattered throughout the book so atheists may find this unappealing.

However, I’m happy to recommend it to people who like to read about history and family dynamics. Adult readers are the most suitable audience for this book because they’ll be able to analyze the deeper meaning behind the characters’ experiences. I can’t find anything to dislike in this novel. Poignantly written, Chateau Laux effortlessly blends history and culture with recurring concepts of good and evil. David Loux impeccably portrays the unpredictability of life, the importance of human morals, and the value of reconciliation with loved ones. I rate this novel a perfect four out of four.

Chateau Laux
View: on Bookshelves
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

History and culture with touch of romance .This story sounds really interesting I can’t wait to read it.Good review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

It seems like this book address a lot of interesting and dynamic topics. Thank you for your great review I enjoyed reading it!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 09:51 It seems like this book address a lot of interesting and dynamic topics. Thank you for your great review I enjoyed reading it!
I'm glad that this book interests you. Thank you for commenting :D
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

MarveeAman wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 15:37 History and culture with touch of romance .This story sounds really interesting I can’t wait to read it.Good review.
Thanks for reading my review and leaving a comment! I hope you enjoy reading Chateau Laux!

Return to “Historical Fiction”