Official Review: Hurrah for Liberty by Oran Brucks

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Official Review: Hurrah for Liberty by Oran Brucks

Post by Praise George-kayode »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hurrah for Liberty" by Oran Brucks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hurrah for Liberty by Oran Brucks is a historical novel. The plot focuses on Britain's plan to turn the Frenchmen against America. This 332-page book contains themes of love, friendship, resilience, and war.

In their quest for adventure, the Tanner brothers and their wolf-dog (Travis, Squib, and Fidious) decide to join their uncle in a hunting expenditure across the land. Their journey took an unexpected turn when they crossed paths with a group of British spies. The spies led by Major Torrens were on a mission in America. The notes with the details of the mission were lost, but the brothers found them. Major Torrens goes after the brothers to recover the notes. Travis and Squib turned to a detachment of the 39th Infantry Regiment of the American soldiers for help. However, the camp is wiped out in an ambush. The brothers now have the task of delivering the secret notes to Captain Johnson, the camp's leader. With the odds against them, can the brothers find Captain Johnson in time to save their beloved nation?

The minor and the major characters were well developed. The story progressed beautifully, as the author was detailed in his descriptions. The book had an air of suspense, though not exaggerated, but just enough to keep you turning the pages. I enjoyed how the story was written from the perspective of all major characters. It was easy to see how each party desperately tried to outmaneuver the other.

My favorite character was Fidious, the wolf-dog. His actions throughout the book were hilarious. Even though I have never been a fan of dogs, the author made me fall in love with one. I enjoyed the easy flow of conversation between Travis and Squib. Their connection was inspiring. It was devoid of rivalry and jealousy. The language used, even though more of old English, was easy to understand.

My favorite scene in the book was the "egg shoot or eat event." The shooters had to hit their raw egg at the right time or run fast to eat it, all the while avoiding being doused with cold water by a bunch of excited women.

There is nothing I dislike about the book, as I enjoyed reading it. I commend the author for writing such a beautiful and inspiring piece out of a historical event. The book was professionally edited, as I found no grammatical and punctuation errors. For these reasons, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. In conclusion, I recommend the book to lovers of adventure, history, war stories, and wildlife.

Hurrah for Liberty
View: on Bookshelves
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

Great review!
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24