Official Review: Forgotten Heroes of wW-II, the French Re...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Forgotten Heroes of wW-II, the French Re...

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forgotten Heroes of wW-II, the French Resistance" by Luis Gil Armendariz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hitler plans to take over the world. Britain and France have recently declared war on Germany following Germany’s attack on Poland. However, the Germans seem to be taking the spoils of the war while they conquer France and several other opposition countries. The German war is upon Britain now, and although the US president wishes to intervene, he cannot. There are several influential German sympathizers in the U.S. Congress, and they can hurt his reelection bid. They facilitate the Neutrality Law that outlaws US citizens from joining any of the nations at war.

However, Herman and Karina, US citizens, secretly defy the Neutrality Law to volunteer as pilots for Great Britain to fight against the Germans. Also, several resistance forces have sprung up against Germany in the conquered territories, the most notable being the French resistance. While the British hope for the US's intervention, they provide all groups (Allied Forces) that are resisting the Germans with intelligence and equipment through the office of the Special Operations Executive (SOE). The SOE also starts training agents that are either flown or parachuted into the occupied territories. Do the Allied Forces have all it takes to subdue Hitler’s men? Will the US intervene? What role(s) will Herman and Karina play in the war? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this piece of fiction called Forgotten Heroes of WW-II: The French Résistance by Luis Gil Armendariz.

There are several things I liked about this novel. First, the characterization of the major characters. I liked how the author gave readers explicit details of several characters right from when they were born. As a result, readers will be able to connect better with them. Second, the way the author described the series of routines and expeditions that these characters undertook during the war was a joy to read. Because of this, I had a clear idea of what the characters learned in each drill and wasn’t confused or surprised when they performed certain stunts during actual battles. For example, when Herman found himself on the El Bambino aircraft and had to abandon the plane and parachute towards the sea, I expected him to perform that stunt successfully since I had previously followed his training on that.

Additionally, it was interesting for me to learn about some of the things that happened in the past since the book contained some real-life stories that took place during the Second World War. I loved that the author provided references to support the real-life events that he narrated in the book. As a result, the book looks a bit more authentic. The plot was also satisfactory. I always knew where the story was going, and I followed it without confusion.

Another thing I liked about this book is that the author understood that during wars, there must be casualties on both sides. What I mean is that the story looked even more realistic because several characters that you may have expected to survive the war did not. Also, it was pleasing that I learned a lot of Spanish and German words since the several characters spoke those languages during several parts of their dialogues. Whatever was said in Spanish or German had their translations written right beside them. The only thing I didn’t enjoy about the book is that the author seemed to be a bit biased towards the British, such that any plan they made against the German forces was flawless.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. Moreover, the volume is professionally edited since I found only three errors throughout the text. I haven’t removed any point since my dislike means nothing when compared with how well the author writes this book. Readers that are interested in fiction stories relating to war, history, and espionage would enjoy this novel. The book, however, does contain several profanities. Sensitive readers should read with caution.

Forgotten Heroes of wW-II, the French Resistance
View: on Bookshelves
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

My husband, being British and a history buff, would probably love this book. He wouldn't mind about the bias towards the UK, either. Thank you for your comprehensive review!
Ivy Mokote
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-mokote.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ivy Mokote »

I appreciate the effort that the author has put into depicting the characters. I also enjoyed the opening of the book. During a war, there is no good side to be on. Having only read the sample, I'll be sure to add this book to my shelf.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't think I mind bias writing in fiction. However, I read a lot of World War II books that I just now rarely want to pick another one. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I've recently started reading about World War II again so I'm looking forward to this book. I don't mind a dash of fiction. I added it to my bookshelves.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Martins Uche 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Martins Uche 1 »

Wow. Am really interested in WW II books and have being going through most of them. But this book caught my attention because the author gave a real explicit history of all the major characters in the book. It's a good book. I think i need to continue my readings in the Amazon kindle. Congrats on your BOTD!!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

The prologue to this book was very informative. I had not heard about the neutrality law and a few other things that illustrate how easy it is for people to betray their own country for personal gain. I admire the brave men who went into Canada and joined the Canadian Armed Forces. As a Brit and a fan of history I am finding this book informative and like the fact that the author included real-life stories in the narrative. Thanks for the good review on this book.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Wow.. Historical fiction is not something I’d naturally pick up to read. Although the events describe seem intriguing. I may find it difficult following through with the book. This is nonetheless an amazing well written review and I’m sure the book is even more well written. Still adding to my bookshelves tho (lol)
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

While wars are not my favourite settings, the story sounds intriguing. The review makes me think that the book is well written and keeps the readers hooked. Apart from the British having flawless plans, it also sounds like the author has tried their best to make it realistic. I'll give it try.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting historical fiction novel highlighting war, Germany, World War II, the French Resistance, and bravery. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for the excellent review! I have read quite a few books about WWII so I currently am not in the market to read another one at this time. This sounds like an intriguing book and I am sure it will have a lot of readers!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I really love reading real historical books and this book sounds like it would deliver well. Thanks for an excellent review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The author has done a good job by making the story so realistic as well as keeping the plot unpredictable.
Thanks for this wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I won't be reading the book since I've never been fond of history since school. Based on your review I can say that the book has focused on various aspects of World War II that we don't usually dwell on. I also like books in general where the author gives the meanings of words or sentences that are in a different language, so I'm glad you understood the Spanish and German words better. It makes the reading experience easier.
Great job with the review!
Ego Emer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ego-emer.html
Latest Review: FEAR ME NOW: The War Annex by Christopher Williams

Post by Ego Emer »

It's hard to imagine that this is actually just a novel with so much solid historical fact. Another remarkable documentation of the wars. Thanks for a Lovely review

Return to “Historical Fiction”