Official Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Official Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Post by SamaylaM »

The storyline sounds very fascinating! Although I'm not a medical student, the phenomena of puerperal fever intrigue me. Thank you for such a beautifully detailed review. I really liked reading it!
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Historical fiction about medicine! I will definitely make a note of names as you suggested. I don't want to be overwhelmed by the names while reading. Wonderful review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Now this I will definitely enjoy. The title is so interesting, i already Imagine how it fits perfectly to the story as a whole. Thank you for sharing such a thorough review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:07 I love medical thrillers, so this one seems like my kind of book. Adding history to the mix and an interesting character is a great idea! Thank you for your recommendation, and nice job!
This was an amazing story—thrilling, heartbreaking, and based on actual events. It was the perfect balance for a historical-fiction read. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

SamaylaM wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 20:39 The storyline sounds very fascinating! Although I'm not a medical student, the phenomena of puerperal fever intrigue me. Thank you for such a beautifully detailed review. I really liked reading it!
I have never been interested in a medical career either, but I find the field fascinating. This book reminded me of the great sacrifices scientists and physicians have made to give us the quality of medical care we have today. Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your kind comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

shravsi wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 06:10 Historical fiction about medicine! I will definitely make a note of names as you suggested. I don't want to be overwhelmed by the names while reading. Wonderful review.
Indeed, there were many characters, and it became a game within the story to figure out who Semmelweis could trust. I think the author did a great job of portraying the paranoia of the man and of the time. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Mtibza eM wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 08:35 Now this I will definitely enjoy. The title is so interesting, i already Imagine how it fits perfectly to the story as a whole. Thank you for sharing such a thorough review.
Nice observation! I hope you decide to read this book. It is an excellent combination of medicine, history, and life. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

I love the empathtic character of semelweiss.it's even strong that it moves him to change his career.Congrats for the great review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a fascinating read! I could see how it could be a little difficult to read with the new information and medical terms it presents, but it seems worthwhile to put in the effort to follow.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I have never heard of Ignác Semmelwei but after your review I'm eager to learn about him. This book sounds fascinating. I enjoyed when historical fiction includes footnotes and endnotes. Great review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

C3cilia wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 00:53 I love the empathtic character of semelweiss.it's even strong that it moves him to change his career.Congrats for the great review.
His passion for life was endearing to me. He seemed to be destined for a career in medicine. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 07:50 This seems like a fascinating read! I could see how it could be a little difficult to read with the new information and medical terms it presents, but it seems worthwhile to put in the effort to follow.
Keeping up with all the characters was a bit of a challenge, but thankfully, there was not a lot of medical jargon. I appreciated learning more about Austria during this period too. This was definitely a worthwhile read.
Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Rwill0988 wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 09:28 I have never heard of Ignác Semmelwei but after your review I'm eager to learn about him. This book sounds fascinating. I enjoyed when historical fiction includes footnotes and endnotes. Great review!
I had never heard of him before reading this book either. I loved his passion for life and his devotion to his work. Most of the time, I just give a cursory glance at footnotes and endnotes, but the endnotes in this book were very interesting and didn’t disrupt the flow of the story at all. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment!
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

What an interesting book! I love both memoirs and historical fiction, and this book seems to combine both. The character of Semmelweis sounds like somebody I’d like to get to know. Thanks for your thorough review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Although the life of Semmelweis sounds very interesting, I do not think that I would enjoy a book with so many characters. Great review, thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”