Official Review: Soulmates by Ronald J. Gerhard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Official Review: Soulmates by Ronald J. Gerhard

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soulmates" by Ronald J. Gerhard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some time ago, I read Yesterday by Samyann. It was my literary introduction to PLRT and the notion of soulmates. Even though I don't believe that anyone needs to share their life with a specific person to feel fulfilled and happy, it was such a beautiful story; I craved similar novels. So I was ecstatic when I read the synopsis of Soulmates by Ronald J. Gerhard.

When William bumped into Judith on a rainy spring afternoon, they felt an inexplicable pull to each other. A few hangouts and family dinners later, they got better acquainted and their relationship bloomed. The resurgence of the plague and tuberculosis in England forced Judith's hosts to expedite their migration to the colonies. William still had a few months to go before the end of his apprenticeship, so he couldn't make the trip. But the young lovers promised to exchange letters as often as possible until their reunion in America. William had to move back home to Nottinghamshire after the demise of his journeyman clerk and the devastating effect of the plague on London's economy. Back home, he toiled to earn enough money for his trip to America. He finally made the voyage, but not in time for his Judith. Thus began a quest that will last several generations.

The book is a historical fiction romance novel inspired by Ronald's family. The ample nibbles of history strewn throughout the book made it worthwhile. I enjoyed seeing the times change from women barely getting an education and being unable to own properties without a husband to gaining full-scale rights and independence. Risky sea migrations of the 16's here, religious intolerance and literal witch-hunting there, slivers of suffrage, slavery and the American liberation movement here and there, the author touched on a bunch of topics reminiscent of the time.

On the downside, the book wasn't as grabbing as I expected. Perhaps it's because I expected fleshed-out characters with a life beyond their connection to and loss of their supposed soulmate. It could also be because the story was told not shown; it just didn't resonate with me.

Also, the book was a tad confusing in some parts because the author mixed up the names of some characters. Here is one instance on page 153: George and Diana had two kids, Albert and Walter. George is their father; however, further down, George was mentioned in place of Albert as Walter's brother. Again, I think the dialogues could use a little spice; they were rather bland and flat.

Conclusively, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Besides the quirks stated above, I spotted enough errors to warrant the loss of a star. A fresh round of editing would clean up the story and improve the reading flow.

If you appreciate romance steeped in genealogy and historical elements, you would relish this book. The author's language is neat, so the book is suitable for young and sensitive readers.

Soulmates
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The story is worth reading I feel. I will also understand on the situations and hardships of the earlier times mentioned. Thank you for the concise review, it helped get an overview of the book.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The storyline is quite warm and makes me wonder what the modern version of such love is. It is unfortunate that the book has that many errors, however. Thank you for this review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Have never really believed in the idea of soulmates however I'm open to exploring a book that advocated it. Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s a little disappointing the story didn’t grab you as expected. When well-rounded characters who are full of life are missing, unfortunately it brings the whole story down. Wonderful review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I've never agreed with the idea of soul mates. I feel people love who they've chosen to love and not someone that has been destined for them by some forces.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

The premise of the book sounds interesting. I don’t personally believe in soulmates, but it’s certainly an interesting concept to explore in art. The lack of editing is unfortunate, though; stiff dialogue is something I’ve noticed in a lot of the unedited books I’ve reviewed, and it always bothers me. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is a real shame that the book has a lot of weak parts, because otherwise it has shown quite good potential. Still, the plot of the book itself is pretty good.

Return to “Historical Fiction”