Official Review: Skullduggery at Quanah by Dennis Boyd Call

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 759
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Official Review: Skullduggery at Quanah by Dennis Boyd Call

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Skullduggery at Quanah" by Dennis Boyd Call.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a re-review of the book. Around 1855, Comanche Chief Peta Nocon knowing his death is nearing decides to go to Medicine Mound, a sacred place for visions. He takes his son Pecos to stand guard near the four mounds, of which Medicine Mound is the tallest. Chief Peta's vision tells him to hide a boxed artifact at the mounds. The Fifth-Son will find the artifact and will bring honor back to his family that will become fractured. The Fifth-Son is the first son of each male for five generations. Chief Peta and his wife, Cynthia Parker, have three children named Quanah, Pecos, and Topsannha. Quanah becomes the next Comanche chief, and he bullies his brother, Pecos. Pecos vows revenge against Quanah and creates the To-sah-wi Alliance to dishonor his brother and destroy his Commanche government. Approximately 159 years later, 17-year-old Jonathan knows he has to be at a sacred site on his 18th birthday, but he does not know why. A voice belonging to Prairie Flower has been talking in his head since he was four years old, preparing him for his 18th birthday. Jonathan is anxious to go on this quest to learn what it is about. The To-sah-wi Alliance must stop him, or their Alliance will be destroyed, and honor will be restored to Chief Peta's past, present, and future family. Will Jonathan be successful? What dangers will he encounter? You will need to read Skullduggery at Quanah by Dennis Boyd Call to find out.

I like multiple aspects of this book. Firstly, Mr. Call does a fantastic job with character development. The reader will get to know each of the characters personally and feel their honesty, integrity, pride, anger, shame, and fear. Secondly, readers will learn that truth, honesty, and integrity are the most important characteristics a person can have. Thirdly, the reader will understand that "mankind is much like the cactus." A person can appear to be mean, thorny, and prickly on the inside but be a pleasant and sweet person on the inside. You have to learn to see a person's soul before judging the type of person they are. Fourthly, readers will realize friends are those individuals you choose to add to your family. Finally, I had a hard time putting this action-packed book down. There is mystery or drama at the turn of every page.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. The fast-paced plot flows smoothly and is well written. There is some missing punctuation, mainly quotation marks, throughout the book, but they did not distract from my reading enjoyment.

There is one error consisting of missing punctuation. A professional editor could easily have overlooked this error. It is easy to overlook punctuation when you are engrossed in a story's plot. I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction revolving around Native Americans, particularly the Comanche tribe. There is some borderline profanity in the book that sensitive readers need to be cautious of.

Skullduggery at Quanah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The author presents an intricate plotline that contains valuable life lessons for the reader. The ongoing rivalry among the Comanche siblings creates the base for this book.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I don’t know what score you gave it before, but I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the book the second time around. Great character development and an intriguing plot makes this sound like a hit. Thanks for the great review
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

A historical drama about American native family in and around 1850's. Thank you for the informative review!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Thought it would be a complex read but your review did justice to that. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I like the cactus reference. Prickly on the outside and sweet on the inside. It also sounds like there are great messages to take away like honor, dignity, and respect. Great review.
-Amy
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like historical fiction and I haven't read a book yet with Native Americans as the protagonists. Thanks for your review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This historical fiction novel, which centers on the Comanche tribe in Quanah, Texas, seems to be an interesting story with good character development. It should appeal to lovers of historical fiction, especially those who enjoy reading about Native Indians, their customs and beliefs.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do not find myself interested in this book. I even found it difficult to stay involved in the review. I do hope that Jonathan can find what he is looking for.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It would be interesting to know what changed from your first read of the book. I love to see books with Native Americans at the front of the storyline.

"The reader will get to know each of the characters personally and feel their honesty, integrity, pride, anger, shame, and fear. Secondly, readers will learn that truth, honesty, and integrity are the most important characteristics a person can have. Thirdly, the reader will understand that "mankind is much like the cactus." "

Beautifully said. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Chris Micheal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-n-10.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Chris Micheal »

A historical fiction about a native American family is interesting. Good review.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Tars »

Normally most of Historical Fiction books go straight to my "Want to read" shelf, but unfortunately after reading review I will have to pass this book. Don't get me wrong, it is nothing personal, book sounds great it is just my stance to avoid anything even slightly related to Native Indians genocide. Apologies and still congrats on BOTD!
Ayomide Solomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ayomide Solomon »

What an exciting suspense to look out for. I really love the storyline and most especially what would become of Jonathan in the long run.
Wonderful review I did say and concise.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Is Jonathan the sixth son? Can't wait to see what the preparation was for. I love historical fiction. Congrats on botd.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

It seems like a historical fiction that has some magical aspects. I also like the comparison of the cactus and inclusion of the great virtues in the fiction. Thanks for this great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”