Official Review: Eternal Heights by jourdan t binger

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Eternal Heights by jourdan t binger

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eternal Heights" by jourdan t binger.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eternal Heights by Jourdan Binger is a fiction book that addresses topics such as the afterlife and religious issues in a symbolic way. Here on OBC, the book was categorized as "historical fiction," but the reality is that it is as "historical" as The Lord of the Rings. The book begins with protagonist Jake Matthews having an everyday life. A car accident, however, changes the dynamics of the book. At first, the reader does not know whether the protagonist is alive or dead. In this reality in which he leaves his body, however, he does not find God or go to the afterlife as we hope he would.

Without knowing if he is alive or dead, Jake starts to live in a new reality and will have to travel through the galaxies to accomplish his purpose. In the middle of the book, the main character realizes that he may be more important than he imagines in this new reality. He will have to deal with monsters, with the nobility of this new world, and with the Devil himself. The book, however, closes abruptly, and the main character's journey will continue into an upcoming book.

The book has some positive points. The first aspect that I must stress is that this work is easy to read and fun. It is so addictive that I finished the book in just one day. There are also humorous scenes that are amusing and contribute to making the book fun. The characterization of the Devil was made masterfully. I rolled over laughing with the main character trying to screw the "Prince of Darkness." The opposite has also happened many times. Those were the aspects that I found most interesting. It isn't easy to choose one that has stood out more than the others.

On the downside, there is no way to ignore the fact that this book is poorly edited. I have undoubtedly found more than 100 gross grammatical errors. They are varied and include proper names that are not adequately capitalized, confusion between the preposition "to" and the adverb "too," missing commas, lack of question marks, incorrect articles, and so forth. In addition, there are line spacing problems and many other formatting errors. Anyone who reads this book will undoubtedly regard these problems as what they least liked. It desperately needs another round of editing.

On the whole, Eternal Heights by Jourdan Binger deserves two out of four stars. I usually deduct just one star from the final score when the book is not professionally edited. The point is that the grammatical errors are so severe and numerous that I had to deduct two stars. It was clear that the author did not hire a professional to read the book after completing it. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction with a hint of humor. The way the author deals with religion (although it does not seem to be his intention) may offend some religious people. Even though I am a Christian, I took it all for a joke, and I didn't find it offensive. Besides, it should be read by a mature audience: it contains excessive profanity, insults, and obscenity.

Eternal Heights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Strange that they would categorize it as anything to do with history rather than maybe science fiction. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is such that it can be read with pleasure. It is a pity that numerous mistakes have diminished the potential of the book.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love historical fiction and I find the plot of this story intriguing. I'm most definitely checking this out. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”